Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: MSI 694T Pro (Via)
Processor type and speed: PIII 933MHz
Amount and type of RAM: 192 Mb 100MHz SDRAMM
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Gainward nVidia GeForce4 4200, 128Mb
Sound board: Integrated
Operating system: WinXP Pro SP1
Game name (and version, if applicable): Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, patched to v1.2
Video mode: I can't select renderer, but the problem occurs in any resolution.

Description of problem:
Game installs, but when played there is an abnormal amount of fog, and it refuses to run in 32bit-mode. The crash comes when you pick up an object and/or bring up the "inventory" . the screen starts flickering, and if left to do so for 10-20s the game exits to Windows without any error messages.

I don't have much hope here, especially since LucasArts themselves have abandoned this game for WinXP. And I suppose there is the possibility of installing a barebones Win98 system, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. 😀

Reply 2 of 18, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it... but I only selected the game in the list and tried to run it, made no difference. The report tool said the game calls a lot of obsolete APIs, that is probably the problem (from my limited perspective).

Reply 4 of 18, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any special modes in QFixApp? I tried WIn95 and Win98, mad no difference (in fact 95 made it worse).

The game _runs_ ok, it seems to be screen overlays (i.e. 2D graphics on the 3D screen, like objects and inventory) that lock it up... maybe I should look into support for the nVidia card and not "run game under XP". 😁

Reply 6 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Prefect47 The crash comes when you pick up an object and/or bring up the "inventory".

Apparently you have plenty of company:
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fun … threadid=112487

The only work-around so far has been to quicksave, quit, restart, then quickload.

...I suppose there is the possibility of installing a barebones Win98 system, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I'm a consistent advocate of the Win98/XP Dual-Boot. It really has the best of both worlds. If something doesn't play properly in XP, it takes me about 60 seconds to reboot and play the same title in Win98 (most of my partitions are still FAT32).

Setting up a dual-boot after XP is installed can be done, it's just a massive pain.

Reply 7 of 18, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For anyone interested, I found this:
http://www.gametalk.com/talk/pc/indiana_jones … ne/53773077.htm

Will try it when I have more time.

Edit: I have absolutely no idea why, but using Win2k compatability mode on Jones3D.exe and Indy3D.exe, starting MediaPlayer 7 and Internet Explorer without opening anything and then minimizing them - solved the problem! I've played through the first two "levels" now and everything works.

My best guess is that MP7 might be allocating an overlay layer or something...

Also, enabling nVidia's fog table emulation (or whatever it's called) solved the "excessive fog" problem!

Last edited by Prefect47 on 2003-02-18, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's off by default? What the hell? That's news to me, probably since I ALWAYS go through every time I install a new piece of hardware/software and tweak as much of it as I can to my liking.
...maybe I shouldn't. It seems to cause problems with stuff. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 18, by Sam Stoat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Prefect47 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea why, but using Win2k compatability mode on Jones3D.exe and Indy3D.exe, starting MediaPlayer 7 and Internet Explorer without opening anything and then minimizing them - solved the problem! I've played through the first two "levels" now and everything works.

Great tip. That Media Player thing worked, but I didn't bother with compatability mode.

You have no idea how long I've been struggling with this game.

Sam Stoat

Reply 12 of 18, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I never had major problems with the Infernal Machine under XP, except for the minor one that is what ITCOTCK (in the gametalk.com thread quoted by Prefect47 on February 18th) would call
- Starts play(ing) in "blue sky mode" -
which I used to fix just forcing a video settings refresh on the spot, not really needing to restart the game like Itcotck said.

Anyway I recently read on
http://www.theindyexperience.com/im.shtml
about an Infernal Machine workaround for Windows XP which takes advantage of MSKB Article 327979 ("Game Stops Responding (Hangs) or Quits Unexpectedly When Introductory Video Clip Is Played")
so for anyone affected I thought you'd want to try this out.

Reply 14 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I presume you have tried several Detonator or Catalyst driver releases, haven't you? Regarding video card drivers, sometimes OLDER is BETTER. IMHO, i find latest detonators very bad performers.

Reply 15 of 18, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To Freddo :
>This game is crashes a lot and is extremly unplayable for me, if I have Vsync off. Having it on makes it all good, for me. Maybe you too?<

...actually I just leave it to default (vsync auto settings) 🙄

To eL_PuSHeR (assuming you were referring to me...) :
>I presume you have tried several Detonator or Catalyst driver releases, haven't you?<

well I had been doing a lot of Detonator up/downgrading experiments indeed to improve the Tomb Raider #1 (plus Glidos) performance and also for speeding up Tomb Raider #4 and #5 under WinXP,
but as far as Indy's Infernal Machine is concerned, I'm fine with Detonator 40.41 for WinXP, and that's all there's to it for me.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jaggedfel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My game has issues, but not that bad. Mine freezes whenever I try to fire a rifle type weapon or long range weapon. The pistols, machette, fists, and whip work fine, the others freeze my computer. Anyone know what's up with that?
~Jaggedfel

"Death and Poverty like me so much, they brought friends!!!"
~Vash the Stampede

Reply 17 of 18, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never heard of this before.
I don't think it's a WinXP related issue (if it's WinXP you're running).
Already tried 1.2 official update (afaik breaks earlier savegames) ?

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)