VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone been able to run this in hardware mode in XP? It blue screens every time with me, although running it in software works its too slow, jerky and doesnt look very good. Sierra suggested the application compatibility toolkit but unless I'm not using it right it doesnt work either.

Edit - I've solved it just by installing 30.82 drivers

Last edited by Jumjalum on 2003-02-18, 00:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problem Solved. (Well until a solution is figured for why installing different drivers works with some games, some function not being called perhaps?....)

Thread Closed
------------------
YAY!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak ...why installing different drivers works with some games, some function not being called perhaps?....)

Well it would be nice to know what version the drivers were before he changed them. Was he going from the default XP drivers for GeForce up to v30.82? ...or down from v41.09 to v30.82?

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, that's not good. It's been a while since I've heard of using older video drivers to fix a problem for a GeForce card (excluding, of course, the "too-soon" use of Beta video drivers).

Reply 5 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not the first time I've heard of it. nVidia's 40.82 drivers have a bug in them whereby you must disable DirectDraw acceleration for some programs in order for them to work.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover It's not the first time I've heard of it.

I had heard of it as well, but this was much earlier in the time of the GeForce2.

... nVidia's 40.82 drivers have a bug in them...

Were those an official release? I don't recall them...

Reply 7 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Were those an official release? I don't recall them...

Never heard about 40.82.
According to nVidia's web site (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive) the latest version is 41.09 and it's listed as "WHQL Candidate". Right now I'm running version 40.72, which is WHQL Certified (so DirectX 8.1 does not bother me about a missing driver signature) and all games are working ok, including many DOS games with VDMSound.

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1