VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badchamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

My old computer with 98se just died. Replacement machine has 2000. Not an unusual case I suspect, however, got a bit of a problem with SS2. Game appears to have installed OK (using the LGNTforce command) BUT as soon as I hit "play" to start a game the eggtimer curser appears for about 2 secs and then - absulutely nothing.

Now, I'm not a techie by any means. Is this an install issue or a system issue. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!😕

Reply 3 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

NOCD crack:

a program that alters the software so that it doesn't need a cd to be run (NO CD therefore)

Last edited by Qbix on 2003-02-20, 14:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

>.<
THIS IS A WINDOWS GAME.

Step 1: Run SETUP.EXE either under Windows 98 Compatibility Mode or with the flag -LGNTforce (eg Start > Run > "[CDLETTER]:\SETUP.EXE -LGNTforce").
Step 2: Install the patch.
Step 3: Use a No CD patch (to remove SafeDisc which is the cause of the problem).
Step 4: Run game and enjoy! 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 18, by badchamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Whoopeeeee

So far so good. Didn't need the nocd crack (which is a good job as the link seems broken:) ) and have got through the training section. CD verified OK etc. So looking GOOD. Many many thanks. ps (not trying to be cheeky here but is the same sort of thing required for Thief 2 ????) But the final word must remain THANKS;)

Reply 7 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by badchamp ...is the same sort of thing required for Thief 2

From what I've read, it should run OK in Win2K. You might need to reboot and/or apply the huge patch first.

Reply 14 of 18, by klownk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the official patch and the no-cd patch but SS2 doesn't start with me. I have Athlon XP 2000+ with Geforce 4 ti4200 on Windows XP. All my drivers are updated and i tried the compatibility mode of XP in windows 95, 98, NT4 and 2000. Nothing change...
The game just doesn't start... the screen blink, that's all...

Someone can help me please ??

Reply 15 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SO.

You got this patch:
http://www.irrationalgames.com/shock2/files/shkpatch.exe

And then you got a No-CD crack for the CORRECT VERSION of the game.
And it doesn't work.

Do I have this correct?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 18, by Sheppi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my comp SS2 a new game starts with the intro followed by a black. the game no longer responds, luckly windows doesn´t crash. so far i´ve tried all possible combinations of patch, no-cd, ..
i hope my ss2-cd isn´t damaged

my comp
Athlon XP1600, 512MB Ram, Radeon8500, SB Live, Win2k, latest service pack and catalyst installed.

Shep

Last edited by Sheppi on 2003-09-27, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two things to try:

1. Get the Microsoft Application Compatability Toolkit from microsoft.com and install it. It has a specific entry for SS2 that will help it run under Win2k/XP.

2. Open a command prompt, go to the SS2 directory, and run the following command:

regsvr32 /s LGVID.AX

This will register the codec needed to play the movies.

3. Make sure you're using the latest version of the game - I believe it's 2.03. If you try to install the patch and you already have the latest version, it will say so.

I'm currently playing SS2 2.03 under WinXP SP1a + DX 9.0b + nVidia GF2MX without problems.

And to the people who were writing in this thread before: There isn't a no-CD out for the latest patch. The only cracks out there allow you to run an improperly copied SS2 CD, but you still have to have it "in the drive". SS2 uses an old copy protection though (either SafeDisc 1 or an old version of SecuROM, I'm not sure), so those cracks aren't really helpful for playing from a backup CD.