VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run a game called Zombie Wars, the sequel to Alien Carnage on Win XP. The problem is I get Music & SFX but no visuals, in fact the screen just stays black the whole time. Currently I have Pentium IV 3.06 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. My video card is GeForce FX 5500. I also have the latest version of DirectX installed.

Methods I have already used: Changed compatibilty to Win 98/ME and 95. Disabled DirectDraw Acceleration. Neither method have worked even when combined with running in 256 colors. If I remember, I managed to get this game to run on XP once but have forgotten the method.

On a side note, Alien Carnage works fine on the latest version of DOSBox however the game never registers when I save meaning everytime I use up a slot and come back to it the only things that shows is empty.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It won't run for me either and that's not surprising. The main executable is NE, that is, a Win3.x executable.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about the problem involving the saves refusing to register in Alien Carnage? I'm sure other users were able to solve this problem easily. Using DOSBox 0.65 and D-Fend v2 to run the game, and I am also having the similar save problem in another game.

Reply 3 of 8, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

make sure your using the latest version of alien carnage?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 8, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Alien Carnage version 1.0 (Halloween Harry Special Edition) which probably isn't the latest version. Any idea where I could obtain an update patch?

Somehow some other users actually claim to be able to get Zombie Wars to run fine on XP. Their message said to configure compatibilty modes to Win98 + 256 bit color. Perhaps they have a later version of the game that actually has the potential to function on XP.

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm Alien Carnage can't save it's files ?
Are you sure they aren't read only ?
Else I will take a look to figure out what is wrong (when running in DOSBox that is.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently, the save problem probably doesn't have any relation because I have already unchecked read-only for the folder and the problem persists. Others have complained about this as well, some of them might not have been DOSBox users. I'm sure the problem has to do with the version of the game but I still haven't found a place that has patches or the latest version of Halloween Harry. Where exactly could I find some sources for the downloads?

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i've taken a look at alien carnage the problem only appears to happen with the first savegame and not the 2nd and 3rd.
I've figured out what goes wrong, but haven't been able to determine yet if it's an emulation problem of a game specific problem.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 8, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

latest version of halloween harry is the full version release of alien carnage.

alien carnage = latest halloween harry

get alien carnage... no idea on patches for zombie wars.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website