VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My father has been having this problem for a year now. His computer will just freeze up randomly (no mouse, Ctrl+Alt+Del or anything). We then discovered it semed to happen whenever Flash was being shown in a browser or in his Flash creating program. He recently thought it might be his cordless optical mouse. But it still froze. He then discovered he had 4 things on the same IRQ (including his video card) and two of them were unknown multimedia and video controllers. They turned out to be an ATI TV-Wonder capture card and when we removed it they went away. He deleted his device driver and reset the computer and it installed again and still it freezes. I think the fourth thing on the same IRQ was a USB controller or something. But it doesn't say its conflicting and I don't think that has anything to do with viewing Flash.

He has a nVidia Vanta LT. 1Ghz computer (not sure how much RAM). Anyone have any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 3, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of Windows?

More configuration information might be helpful.

IRQ sharing is nothing to be concerned about. It's normal in the PCI world. Forget the ISA bus and non-shared IRQs of the past.

dvwjr

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.memtest.org/

Also buy a can of compressed air, open the computer up and give it a good cleaning. If your up to it I'd also look into removing the processor/heatsink, cleaning up the old thermal compound and reapplying it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, it's Windows XP Home (SP2 I believe). I'm not sure of the exact specs as I never use his computer. I'll send him this information though.