First post, by kosem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About the game Beasts and Bumpkins...
some dude wrote a msg:
Beasts & bumpkins (maptile.mfb error)

and other dude said this game works only on windows 95 or 98
is there any way to make it work on Win Xp?

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox has come a long way since 2003. Have you tried running it with DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How will he run it with DOSBox if it is a Windows game or am I missing something? 😕

Edit:
Now for the solution. I've found Beasts and Bumpkins on one of my old cds, it's a cd-rip by CLASS. I've done what it said in NFO and imported BEASTS.REG into registry. When I started BEASTS.EXE I got message "Could not open maptile.mfb". After some thinkering I've found solution, instead of HKEY_USERS\.Default the game searches in HKEY_CURRENT_USER so I changed the BEASTS.REG to point to that location in registry, this is how it should look like:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Worldweaver Productions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Worldweaver Productions\Beasts and Bumpkins]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
"Language"=dword:00000000
"InstallDrive"="."
"InstallDir"="\\"
"Video"=".\\video.box"
"Audio"=".\\audio.box"
"Speech"=".\\speech0.box"
"Misc"=".\\misc.box"
"Missions"=".\\missions.box"
"MissionText"=".\\mistext0.box"
"Working"=".\\"
"CD"=""
"Link"="C:\\WIN95\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Beasts and Bumpkins\\Beasts and Bumpkins.lnk"

When I imported changed BEASTS.REG into registry and started BEASTS.EXE the game worked fine, perhaps a little to fast. Now this is solution for ripped version, but the same should apply to original cd release. This would be solution for original version: After installing the game go to registry HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software and export "Worldweaver Productions" key, than edit exported reg file, change HKEY_USERS\.Default with HKEY_CURRENT_USER and reimport reg file into registry. Also take care, thinkering with registry can blowup Windows. 😁