Common searches

Zombie Wars

Topic actions

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how to make it so that i can see the play area? as i can see the toolbar along the top but the play area is just black... i can also hear the music.

im on winXP home sp2 and the version of the game is v1.0R... i have tried windows compatability.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anyone? i have also tried rchanging desktop res to 16bit (high colour) and 800x600.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

p4 3.00ghz with hyper threading support (single core)
asus p5ld2 motherboard (standard)
2048mb ddr2 ram
geforce 6600gt 128mb pcie
200gig sata2 hdd
lg super multi DVD burner combo drive (10x dvdwrite 48x cdwrite 48x cdread)
lg 52x cd rom
Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music
direct x 9.0c
windows xp home sp2 on ntfs partition
latest updates for drivers, bios's, software

Game name (and version, if applicable)
- zombie wars v1.0R

Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does)
- the gameplay area does not show up... it is a blank blackness.

Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.)
- always

Sound mode used
- n/a

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
- 640x480 and 1280x960 (direct draw v2 or 3 i think)

Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+)
- n/a

Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!)
- read the readme, checked lots of websites, posted on another forum, asked here, and i have tried the MS compatability stuff.

my website

Reply 3 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no one at all has any solution?

my website

Reply 4 of 16, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its not that we are ignoring you ... it is that we don't know the answer. I loved this game but cannot get it to work either. I am waiting for a Windows emulator for Window! Please let us know if you ever do find out how to get this one working ... until then play Halloween Harry!

Reply 5 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wait ima test something... if it works then great 😜

my website

Reply 6 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OMG i got it working 😜 just run it in virtual pc 2004... shame it suxors compared to the demo i played eons ago... maybe when virtual pc 2007 supports windows XP it will run better...

my website

Reply 7 of 16, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read somewhere that it uses DLLs which were replaced by DirectX. That is why it is a black screen now. Does anyone know where to obtain the missing DLLs and how to install them without hampering XPs normal function? Can they be loaded only when playing the game? I would LOVE to play this game again but the site from which I read about the DLLs gives no specifics and no longer post.

Reply 8 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try installing direct x 5.0 then re-installing direct x 9.0...... xD i doubt 5.0 will install but its worth a shot incase they dropped dlls from earlier versions of direct x in 9.0

my website

Reply 9 of 16, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No. It seems to relate to Windows 95 specific DLLs. The guy (who no longer answers posts) said something about WinG DLLs as well as others. What are WinG DLLs? Can someone find these old DLLs? If I knew exactly which ones I needed I might be able to find a work around.

Reply 13 of 16, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read something similar on the messageboard of this site:
http://hharry.netfirms.com/

It seems that the problem has a correlation with the DLLs but the problem is identifying the correct files.

Reply 14 of 16, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is probably correct. Unfortunately all the dependency analysis program's out there are for 32 bit programs. I cannot find one that works with 16 bit programs, or else we could find out what DLLs Zombie Wars is using!

Reply 15 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Get FileMon and have it watch which files it tries to access. I think you can set up FileMon to filter on the EXE-name and the DLL-extension.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 16, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Zombie Wars was released, I think, for Windows 3.11.
When I lately tried to run it to figure out what kinda game it is, I had to install Win311 under DOSBox (0.70), then WinG (1.0) then I managed to have it running at a reasonable speed.
Using DOSBox's tricks the soundtracks is really enjoyable although during the gameplay it gets stuck for a half second when I hit zombies.
Using VirtualPC makes the gameplay really fluent but the soundtrack sucks.