VOGONS

Common searches

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy DVD on XP

Topic actions

First post, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone gotten this game to work under XP?

I can install and run the game fine, but the movies will not play. For example, in the main menu there is an option to play the intro movie. Pressing this button yields no error message, no movie, no nothing, the game just goes on as if you didn't click the button. The movies are in .mve format but they play fine in Windows Media Player. I believe they are MPEG 2 movies. I don't know whether or not this error occurs in the CD version of the game. It may be an XP error, something related to old DVD video playback APIs, or something else. However, the game does use DirectX, so it seems odd that it wouldn't also use DirectX for the movie playback.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 71, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD Version of SFA. In order to get it to run in the first place, I had to set compatibility mode to winnt 4 to be able to install it, but the game would run fine without compatibility mode. Another thing is that the cd version movies are definately not mpeg2, they are some weird "interplay video" standard (Mediaplayer, VLC... all failed to playback the movies, VirtualDub didn't know what to do, but finally, the ImTOO 3GP Converter figured it out (and was even able to correclty transcode some vids^^).

Given that information, I assume it really is some playback issue with the Movie format on the DVD.
You may try: Activating different compatibility modes, disabling advanced text functions, possibly disable your Mpeg2 DirectShow Filter and so on. If all fails, try to copy the movies on your hard drive (into the games Movie folder).

Edit: It may also be that you installed the game on an account without admin privileges. If that's the case, install it with admin rights.

Hope something helps...

Reply 2 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's definitely MPEG2, the box basically says it is, and so does Media Player. I know MVE is a proprietary Interplay video format. It sounds like for the CD version they actually used MVE and for the DVD version they kept the .mve extension and used straight up DVD video. I don't know how it's trying to play the video though.

How do I disable the Directshow filter? And why would that help?

Anyone else actually have this game?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 71, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, to disable native Mpeg2 DirectShow Filter is hardly possible... but if you have ffdshow installed, go to vfw and video decoder configfuration and set mpeg2 to disabled (it's a long shot though). If you don't have ffdshow installed, I don't believe it is related to this...

Another question: Do you have Creative DVD Encore installed?

Reply 4 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game might not be using directshow for mpeg2 playback but mci interface (same as wing commander 4 dvd). I have developed the patch for wc4 to use dshow...it might be possible to do the same with sfa.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 5 of 71, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try the Elecard-Video-Decoder. With this program, it is possible to run some of the old DVD games which use the MCI interface.
You can download the trial version here:
http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/c … decoder-plugin/

Reply 6 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cmw wrote:

Well, to disable native Mpeg2 DirectShow Filter is hardly possible... but if you have ffdshow installed, go to vfw and video decoder configfuration and set mpeg2 to disabled (it's a long shot though). If you don't have ffdshow installed, I don't believe it is related to this...

Another question: Do you have Creative DVD Encore installed?

I don't have ffdshow installed, and I don't have the Creative DVD Encore. I bet it would have a better chance of working if I did...

Reply 7 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

The game might not be using directshow for mpeg2 playback but mci interface (same as wing commander 4 dvd). I have developed the patch for wc4 to use dshow...it might be possible to do the same with sfa.

Hi gulikoza,

Thanks for the great patch. I actually tried this already. It seemed to have no effect. Is there any way to tell whether or not the game is trying to use MCI? Wouldn't there be some error message or something?

BTW, you should change your URL in the readme file of the patch.

There must be some way to figure out what this thing is doing...I've tried a whole bunch of stuff and have just gotten myself very frustrated...

Reply 8 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wintermute wrote:

You can also try the Elecard-Video-Decoder. With this program, it is possible to run some of the old DVD games which use the MCI interface.
You can download the trial version here:
http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/c … decoder-plugin/

This seemed to have no effect either.

Reply 9 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The dxmci patch would most certainly have to be customized for the SFA, it cannot work the way it is now. But I don't have the game (only CD version) so I can't say how hard it is (or if it's even possible) to make it work. Microsoft Knowledge Base has SFA on the list...

yeah..I forgot to change the urls in the readme files 😁

Reply 11 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

The dxmci patch would most certainly have to be customized for the SFA, it cannot work the way it is now. But I don't have the game (only CD version) so I can't say how hard it is (or if it's even possible) to make it work. Microsoft Knowledge Base has SFA on the list...

The DVD is almost 7 gigs, but almost all of that is the movies. Would it help if you took a look at the EXE files? There are actually 2 of them, a "regular" and a Direct3D version (for the gameplay, not the movies).

Reply 13 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

I got the executables from the 1.17 DVD patch...I'll see if the game starts with my data files from the CD version and how it openes the movies.

FYI, I think that patch is only for some particular brand of DVD drive. When I tried to install that patch, the game wouldn't run at all - I only got a black screen.

Reply 14 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

BTW, that Knowledge Base article is usually a Red Herring. Half of those titles were never even released, and the ones that were, Microsoft just totally guessed that they might use MCI without checking it all. It is a totally CYA KB article...

Reply 15 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah, it does not start with 1.17. Could you attach one of your exe files then. Does your version also have mp.exe?

yeah I know about the KB article, Vulcan Fury wasn't released at all 😀. But they couldn't just totally guess...or could they 😜. Anyway, the 1.17 patch definitely uses MCI...

Reply 16 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

yeah, it does not start with 1.17. Could you attach one of your exe files then. Does your version also have mp.exe?

yeah I know about the KB article, Vulcan Fury wasn't released at all 😀. But they couldn't just totally guess...or could they 😜. Anyway, the 1.17 patch definitely uses MCI...

Interesting...how can you tell?

There is no mp.exe - that's probably used to play the proprietary format video for the CD version. With MPEG-2 video, it wasn't needed I assume.

Aside from the 2 exes, there are a couple of config files - no DLLs or anything else to speak of in the directory. I'm attaching the exes and one of the config files.

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• Filename
    sfa.exe
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Downloads
    988 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    sfad3d.exe
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Downloads
    1002 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    sfa.cfg
    File size
    28 Bytes
    Downloads
    861 downloads
    File license

Reply 17 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By looking at the exe with a hexeditor...these files import mciSendCommandA function from winmm.dll, my CD version does not. I assume this is used for DVD playback (the same as wc4 dvd). MP.EXE was in the 1.17 patch and that one used different MCI functions...I'll ignore that then.

I'll try to do a test version of dxmci for sfa...we'll see how it goes 😁

Reply 18 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

By looking at the exe with a hexeditor...these files import mciSendCommandA function from winmm.dll, my CD version does not. I assume this is used for DVD playback (the same as wc4 dvd). MP.EXE was in the 1.17 patch and that one used different MCI functions...I'll ignore that then.

I'll try to do a test version of dxmci for sfa...we'll see how it goes 😁

You are the man (whether it works or not) 😀

Reply 19 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just thinking and doing some more research...maybe the 1.17 patch is designed to let the game use a software DVD decoder rather than a hardware one. Similar to the patches for Tex Murphy Overseer, which enabled the game to be played via the Mediamatics DVDExpress software.

Does anyone have the Ravisent Cineplayer/Cinematics/whatever it's called?