VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I searched the forums and tried the Application Toolkit, but couldn't find any useful information or fixes. I'll admit the search element was only half-hearted, but at least it was an attempt.

Anyway, here's the issue: how do I alter the gamma correction in old Win9x games like Warcraft II Battle.net Edition that don't have gamma correction sliders? I can alter the brightness in DOS games and modern games, but that awkward middle area of Win9x games still eludes me. I can't use my nVidia control center on them, and DOSBox and Sassi don't work on them either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um... yes. By brightness and contrast controls are maxed out. They have been for years, but everything is very dark. I've done some research into other monitors as well just to see if it was my own monitor, but... in every display model I saw in stores (CRT, LCD, etc.) the monitors were very dark even with high brightness and contrast settings (which I made sure to set while there). I'm positive that the industry must consider this a "feature" somehow.

Reply 5 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, I don't know why the nVidia control panel doesn't work. It never has on any system or HD instance I've used. I think it has something to do with the games using too early a version of DirectX or something. They're just too old for the control panel to affect.

Reply 6 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A-ha! I think I now know why the nVidia control panel doesn't work on these games -- it's probably because they're not hardware accelerated!

There must be some way to work around this.

EDIT: I once heard tell of a screw in the back of CRT monitors that could control static charge, and that this could affect brightness. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 8 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shoal wrote:

EDIT: I once heard tell of a screw in the back of CRT monitors that could control static charge, and that this could affect brightness. Anyone have any ideas?

Most CRT monitors have a potentiometer inside to control the intensity of the cathode rays. Some people like to turn it up to compensate for a worn out phosphor coating (which usually happens with CRTs at a certain age, resulting in a dark picture), but usually this method of "refurbishing" a monitor gives you a more blurred and washed-out picture along with more brightness. The increased intensity also causes the phosphor coating to deteriorate even faster, radiation and static charge levels will also go up, so fiddling with the pots inside a monitor usually doesn't make sense unless you know exactly what you do.

Reply 9 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When your old CRT is dying, I think it's time to move on. Get a decent TFT. Love them. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When your old CRT is dying don't just get a "decent" TFT. Do your research and get a TFT you'll be happy with.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline