VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have an older computer with an Athalon 650 processor and a C-media CMI8738/C3DX PCI sound card with windows 98. I am having difficulty getting the game "Ripper" (Take 2 games, with Christopher Walken 1996) to work properly. I have been able to successfully install the game and can access it via the MS-DOS prompt while in windows, but there is no sound. The setup for the program does not recognize my sound card. oes anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try?

glyco0

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there is a ms-dos emulator for that card in C-MEDIA web, but it wasn't too good because AdLib sound was software emulated and it wasn't working 90% of the time. Good news is that it took very little memory.

PS - According to Mobygames there are both ms-dos and windows versions for this game. What version are you using?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 3, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I'm not versed in that card, but my two cents would advise you against running Ripper under windows at all due to VARIOUS reasons. The videos and display love to frig up even in dos mode, and I've found even with the latest patches it occurs on PCs that are even 2 years after the game's release. You'd be better off trying a more modern PC with dosbox as I found the glitches don't occur.

Other than that good luck on getting the card to work.