VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dug this game out and fancied playing it but after installing it the game crashes when i try to run it. There are 3 exe's - Software, hardware and MMX .. and they all do the same thing when run. Black screen few seconds of activity then back to the desktop with Q.exe has failed message.
Have tried it on another XP machine with another graphics card but the same issue on there. Have also tried compatability mode with windows 98 and windows 95.
Looking on ntcompatible the game is listed as running ok !
Another thing when i insert the cd media player starts up and seems to think its a james bond cd .. which was odd to say the least !
Its an original cd .. big box edition of the game, which if i remember correctly had problems installing on windoes 98 SE due to the direct x on that OS. installed fine on win 98 1st edition and seemingly installed fine on xp ..

any ideas ? .. anyone else got it working on their xp machine ?

Asus K8U-X
Sempron 3400
1 gig ddr ram
ATI 9800 / 128 ram
Onboard soundmax
XP SP 2

Reply 1 of 4, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had another fiddle with the settings .. managed to run the software and MMX versions by reducing the hardware graphics acceleration right down.. Got sound effects but no cd audio, hmmm ... is there a way of reducing the graphics acceleration just for this game .. maybe with a batch file or something and then have full acceleration turned back up when the game is quit ? .. any way to do this ?

regards

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mabye figure out where in the registry that slider adjusts it's value and then write a script that changes it before and after you run the game.....

Might be better off just running the game under VPC/Vmware.

You could try download the Application Compatibility Toolkit from MS and going through that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i downloaded and installed the app compatibility toolkit v4.1 i think it was... when u say try going through that.. i assume u mean looking through to see if there is an entry for this game, which there isnt.
And it looks an incredibly complex piece of software !

Reply 4 of 4, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

took up the suggestion of running under VPC .. both software versions seem to work fine with it.
and short of setting up a dual boot xp/98 system is as good as it gets !
and actually im quite impressed with VPC. might try a few more oldies with it !