VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the advent of 64-bit operating systems I'm kind of curious - has anyone started work on a program to emulate 16-bit support for some games that need it?

I'm not talking full fledged 16-bit emulation, just a sort of wrapper for 32-bit games that have launchers or installs that are 16-bit. I've seen a few out there (usually windows 95 launch era) and wondered if anyone was attempting to solve this rather than just recommend VMware. After all most 32-bit games would run just fine in 64-bit XP/Vista but due to ancient installers they won't function.

It would be probably be quite useful if it already doesn't exist.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just unpack them using the installshield unpackers.

Yeah, you'd think someone would have come up with something by now. Heck, I can run x86 apps on a DEC Alpha with FX32 so you'd think someone would be able to write a simple emulation program to run a 16bit installer......

I'd bitch at the installer makers more than at Microsoft though (although they are at fault as well).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well 16-bit going the way of the dodo was expected, but really I just thought since we have emulators for practically everything these days that someone would have at least attempted it. I'm no programmer so I can't really volunteer either.

Reply 3 of 4, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basic support for installers is provided but I guess the ones you're after aren't Installshield/ACME:

No 16-Bit Code • No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme installers (these are hard-coded in Wow64 […]
Show full quote

No 16-Bit Code
• No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme installers (these are hard-coded in Wow64 to allow them to work).
• 16-bit Setup bootstraps are not supported.
• 16-bit MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows 3.x utilities will not start. If you attempt to start such a program, you receive a "Program.exe is not a valid Win32 application" error message.

Can't say that I'd need a 64bit edition OS for home for another 5-10 years so I don't really care either 😀 😉