VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpaceOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Z95 is strategic game from Bitmap Brothers (is sort of addon for Z(ed)). Game needs win95 or win98 to play. But I wonder if anybody here has succesfuly played it with windows XP? I tried to install in winxp, but I get Copy error.

I tried with vmware, but I cannot move mouse (mouse is active (can press buttons), but it simply wouldn't move) and also music is very lugish.

Reply 1 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the Z '95 with expansion maps: Indeed it crashes in windows XP/2000. I have not managed to find a fix for it. Some say setting compatibility mode with a shortcut to win98/me might work, if your lucky.
see the Z forum » Z95 and Windows XP
http://zzone.lewe.com
not one good fix there... they did have this interesting news article though:

Z:XP and Z:2 Written by ZZone Wednesday, 07 June 2006 […]
Show full quote

Z:XP and Z:2
Written by ZZone
Wednesday, 07 June 2006

The Bros are back?
Wow, can it be true?! In a recent conversation between ZZone and Mike Montgomery, one of the original Bitmap Brothers, Mike announced that he rejoined with John Phillips, one of the original programmers to work on Z again.

First thing they're gonna do is converting Z to run under Windows XP. They will also rewrite the complete network code so it will be easier to play Z over the internet. So the "new" Z:XP will address the mos tpressing issues of the community making it playable in the todays common WIndows XP and Internet environment.

Also Mike told the ZZone that after that they are planning on a real sequel of Z, the original game. Jeez, that will make a lot of gamers happy.

The ZZone will keep you posted.

for now it works fine on my windows 98 PC...

Edit: If you want to bypass normal installation procedure, copy from the CD the game folder's contents to D:\games\Z95
and use the z95 reg file I attached. You might need to tweak some paths to your liking in that file.

Attachments

• Filename
    z95.zip
    File size
    378 Bytes
    Downloads
    641 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by SpaceOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gerwin

Well, I tried all solutions you mention, before I asked here. In fact, I signup with ZZone more than a year ago, but we came up with nothing.

I just hoped that somebody here had success with running in XP.

I have a feeling that Mike's XP version of Z won't be finish any time soon
😢

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am sorry I can not be of any help, If compatibility modes don't work, I would need to mess with the executable, find instructions that are not allowed and replace them. I do not know if that can be done actually...**
With the source code it would be quite easy I guess.**

The news from that Mike guy having the source... Indeed if he wanted to fix the XP problem he should have done so within weeks probably.**
The bitmap brothers website seems to have nothing new since 2002.

But currently I also feel I should just be content with the game running fine in windows 98se, It is neat they released the 95 version as it is. XP got several classic games in trouble, and vista will probably fuck up many more. Fans of Z 95 should consider dual booting 98 or something.

**I am writing this with just a modest experience in coding games and hacking games.