VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 2191987

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hiya all
just got hold of a copy after much searching
mega douglas adams fan (bob bless his soul) so of course needed it for the collection

on winxp sp2 and i can get it to run with working vids n all but can't get past the start
as soon as i put the titanic disc in the computer i get the loading screen with the spinny titanic logo and then it minimises to the desktop while it plays the crash video
after this i can't get back in to the game, extreme pain

i've applied the 3rd patch and put the iccvid.dll in the install dir and aslo upddated the mfc42.dll so it doesn't crash with an error relating to that

any ideas?

thanksies in advance

more system specs at hand if needed

Reply 1 of 3, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2191987 wrote:

i've applied the 3rd patch and put the iccvid.dll in the install dir and aslo upddated the mfc42.dll so it doesn't crash with an error relating to that

What ICCVID.DLL file ? The size and date. It should be 110,592 bytes dated 08/29/2002 (from WinXP/SP1). It should NOT go into the game 'Install' sub-directory. It SHOULD go in the C:\Windows\System32 subdirectory OVERWRITING the bad SP2 version (80,384 bytes dated 08/04/2004). Remove ICCVID.DLL from the game 'Install' sub-directory.

Re-boot your PC. Don't pretend to re-boot after the above changes. Re-boot and immediately login and try Starship Titanic. Please come back and tell everyone if it works or you are still having problems.

Hope this helps,

dvwjr

Reply 3 of 3, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless it's a COM component (which iccvid.dll isn't), you should never simply replace DLL files in the Windows\System32 directory. Windows will automatically 'search' for the DLL using a set of well known locations - the first of which being the local directory.