VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before you tell at me, note that I have checked and autoexec.nt IS present in the system32 folder. I recopied it just in case there was corruption of the file. In all cases, I cannot run GK3.EXE because it says it is "not a valid win32" program. I have tried all compatibility issues as well. What is the problem?

Reply 2 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... in case autoexec.nt was corrupt, but it wasn't. Reinstalling the game doesn't work either. It doesn't recognize GK3.exe as a valid win32 program whether I run it from CD or HD. Can someone quickly remind me of another program which usually has the autoexec.nt error so I can run it to make sure autoexec.nt is working?

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Stupid question, but why would a Win32 program be interested in AUTOEXEC.NT? Isn't that for 16-bit programs that runs in the NTVDM?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe the executable is scrambled (like those cd copy protections found
in some games) and something didn't went straight. Viewing the .exe
header in a hex editor might be a first step.

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is someone who is having the exact same problem with GK3 on the VU boards. No missing AUTOEXEC.NT either. The game runs fine on my XP box.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your sure that it's a messed up Windows problem then you can run SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt. This will repair your windows files.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update + new problem. I reinstalled the game, using SETUP on the Compatibility mode. Now GK3.EXE runs but I get an error "invalid directory ." It does not specify what the invalid directory is. Moreover, the game asks for me to "insert disk 1" which is in the drive already. It does not appear to know where the CD drive is located. I checked the registry and the only thing linked to GK3.EXE is correct, but I can find nothing that directs the game to the CD drive! This same error takes place on my laptop (which I tried after it failed on my disktop). The VU forums does not appear to have the answer either.

Reply 8 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those interested ... I found the answer. I have to run SETUP with COMPATIBILITY ON. However, DO NOT run the game itself in compatibility mode. Turn compatibility OFF to run the game. This is weird, but true. Install the game with compatibility, but run the game without it. So far, so good.