VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I like about GeForce 6800 is that it works with Windows 98, so I (at least theoritically) can play old, Windows 98-only games with all the glory of 6800 (AA, AF, etc). However, a friend told me that Windows 98 does NOT support PCI Express, so a 6800 SLI is impossible in Win 98. At most, I can only use 6800 AGP, but no SLI.

However, what I found here is pretty much shocking.

Yes, it is ForceWare 81.98 Win98/ME. In fact, the software description says that the version is "is intended for Windows 98 SE and ME". Yet the version also supports SLI configuration, as well as resolving some previous SLI issues.

And furthermore, I found something interesting in ForceWare 61.76 download page. The page says that the driver is for Windows Windows 95/98/Me, yet it also provides "complete support for NVIDIA PCI-E GPUs".

So does Windows 98 support PCI Express? Can we use PCI Express video cards on Windows 98? And furthermore, is GeForce 6800 SLI configuration possible on Windows 98?

Reply 1 of 19, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't answer your question, but I thought you might like to know that there's an even newer version of the Forceware drivers that supports Windows 98; 82.16. It used to be available from the XFXForce site, but after I reported that the uninstaller didn't work, they appear to have downgraded to one of the 7x.xx versions. You can download 82.16 here;

http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GS_256.html

Reply 2 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: a friend on TR said that 6800 SLI on Windows 98 should be possible, as long as I could find a PCI Express motherboard with Windows 98 driver.

Any suggestion?

By the way, I also wonder: does Windows 98 need driver to run on a particular motherboard? I thought motherboard driver (or is it chipset driver?) is something that started from Windows XP.

Also, I wonder about Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI mobo. It is an SLI mobo based on nForce 4 chipset. I'm not sure about Win 98 support, but the product profile page says something about "Power-off by Windows 98/ Me/ 2000/ XP shut down and switch". Does it mean that the mobo can run Win 98?

Reply 3 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

By the way, I also wonder: does Windows 98 need driver to run on a particular motherboard? I thought motherboard driver (or is it chipset driver?) is something that started from Windows XP.

Nope. There's a Windows 98 "Chipset ID utility" for Win9x available on Intel's website, and I've seen similar drivers for other motherboards. Windows 98 includes drivers for the popular chipsets of its time on its CD.

Reply 4 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Nope. There's a Windows 98 "Chipset ID utility" for Win9x available on Intel's website, and I've seen similar drivers for other motherboards. Windows 98 includes drivers for the popular chipsets of its time on its CD.

I see. So modern mobos won't work win Win98, will they? What's the latest chipset still support Win98, then? Anyone?

Update: I read a lot over the internet that nForce4 chipset (which is, unfortunately, the chipset needed for nVidia SLI setup) "does not support Windows 98". 🙁

I wonder whether any chipset other than nForce4 that also support nVidia SLI.....

Reply 5 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not sure what it is that you thing won't run on newer motherboards. I have MS-DOS, Windows 95 OSR2, and Windows 98 running happily on my nForce2 chipset.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

I am not sure what it is that you thing won't run on newer motherboards. I have MS-DOS, Windows 95 OSR2, and Windows 98 running happily on my nForce2 chipset.

I imagine you at least have a couple of unidentified devices in Device Manager.

Reply 7 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

How mobo-dependent an 6800 SLI solution is? Suppose I'm using nForce4 (the only mobo supporting SLI 🙁 ), and get a couple of unidentified devices in Device Manager (the chipset, I suppose), but I do install the Win98 ForceWare driver above. Could I use SLI in Win98 then?

Reply 8 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something else you may want to bear in mind. I have a 6600 and it will not play AvP, the display is useless. Apparently this something to do with the way the card works - some aspects of old-style are not implemented [I forget what the explanation was I'm afraid]. If the 6800 is based on the same chip design then it may have similar problems.

Of course if anyone knows the 6600 can be made to display AvP properly, please let me know!

Reply 10 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean Alien vs Predator? Why can't it run on 6800? How about older Direct3D games like the original MDK, Incoming, or Hellbender?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 19, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Of course if anyone knows the 6600 can be made to display AvP properly, please let me know!

[Apparently] you need to run with 66.93 version of the nVidia drivers to get AvP to play as it should. According to reports this is the last set known to work with AvP and isn't much of a solution if you run a mix of games (where the newer ones will probably require newer drivers).

Reply 12 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried this and it's true. Driver versions up to 66.93 will allow a 6600 or 6800 to play AvP, but with anything later you just get glowing patches and no real picture.

The theory on the nvidia forum is that nvidia have turned off some functionality as part of the attempt to squeeze as much performance as possible for recent stuff. You don't of course have the same problem with ATi or so it seems.

Later nvidia cards will need later driver versions - so AvP won't be possible on these at all unless and until nvidia fix the problem.

Reply 13 of 19, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt nVidia care that they've broken support for a 6 year old game 🙁

As an aside I've started to look at the possibility of lifting the OpenGL (via SDL) implementation from the linux source code and squeezing it into the Windows release. So far in a week I've installed a Linux dev environment, compiled the code and have run the game using the compiled binary together with game files from my Windows install. The game certainly didn't exhibit the same problems but wasn't too playable as I'm running Linux inside of Virtual PC.

As for 'fixing' the Windows sources as is... a compilation of those (using VC6) produced an exe that crashed! I'd expect given the right person and time it's likely the original graphical problems would be fixable.

I've *no* prior experience with this sort of task (Linux, SDL, OpenGL, D3D, game development, etc.... it's all new to me!). If I had the skills of 'Qbix', 'moe', 'gulikoza', etc. etc. I'd be more confident in reaching a conclusion but as it is, don't expect results!

Reply 15 of 19, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you go to www.msfn.org (Not msdn) forums, there is a community of die hard win98 users there. They also have a list of modern tech that works in win98. You could also ask questions about this there, as someone there probably knows.

Reply 16 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

In case anyone's interested, I just tried AvP under XP on a 6800gt using 94.24 drivers. It worked fine. Not using any compatibility mode either.
😀

WTF does this have to do with Windows 98?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 19, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

Nope - until recently I also had a rig with NF2 chipset and it worked quite nicely in Win98.

Reply 19 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

until recently I also had a rig with NF2 chipset and it worked quite nicely in Win98.

Yeah, my Abit AN7 has nforce2 and runs Win98SE with all devices identified. In Windows 98 this was not possible, only Second Edition. But it's not a pci-e board, let alone sli.