VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stalled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
- I was given a Dell L500c, 500mhz Celeron, MMX?? pc that had been completely wiped. I did not get any CD's or documentation.
- I installed Win 98, and then a Win 98SE upgrade. No further OS upgrades were made (No internet access).
- I found the drivers for the video (Intel 810 3D AGP video card/chip) and finally the drivers of the Sound Blaster PCI64 onboard soud card/game port.
- Video works fine, and the game port/joystick port works, fine, but I do not get any sound. I tried plugged into exteranal speakers, and then with out plugging in the external speakers. Nothing.
- I have not tried anything further, but had seen a 'Waveset' file on the Dell website from the same location that I got both driver files. Do I need to install this?
- This no sound problem occured with two different games, DOOM and Silent Hunter II.
- I am not real knowledgable on any computer system, much less these older ones, so keep that in mind.
- I may take some cheap non powered speakers from another computer and try them.
- The computer is at another location so I do not have internet access there and only get to it two or three times a week.
- Any suggestiions on what or where to look would be appreciated.

On a separate, though less important problem, I ran DOOM from a CD (did not install on the HD), and it ran in a window using about 2/3 of the screen.
- I tried the options/adjustments within the game, but all that did was get rid of some of the menu bars/status bars within the 2/3 window.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by stalled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FYI, The sound problem did turn out to be the speakers I was using. I switch to some basic, unpowered speakers and the sound worked.

For the size of the window in DOOM 95, there were additional setting when starting up the game, and they allow me to adjust to full screen.