VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I aquire this game again and try to start playing.
After patch 1.2 all is work just fine under WinXP SP2 _without_ compatibility settings (1.0 won't work at all, except Win98 compatibility, but in that case "cultists bug" exists). There is problem with options, but it not serious. 😀
But another bug appears: there is no in-game sound. At all. Movies (on smk) works just fine, with music and voices, but in the game music and FX absent.
Under my second system - Win98 SR2 - all is allright. And this is the same intallation (same machine, sharing HDD). So this is not installation bug.
And this is _not_ WinXP bug. I already seen that bug long ago, when I has this game first time - it was years 1998-2000, and there was sound in one systems, but nothing in others, and it all was Win95 and Win98.
I try to fiddle a little with exe. And I found, that it has external call to msacm32.dll. It seems filter to codecs. So I think, there is somewhat relating with codec problem. But what codec, and what problem - I dunno. I have too little knowledge about it.
I can add only, that all game audio (except smk) is raw wav-files, that can be played by anything.
And yes, I try to experiment with sound acceleration on both my cards (SB128PCI and internal Realtek '97). No luck.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you read this thread? http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/sh … /page/0/fpart/1

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I even wrote in it. 😀 No, it seems my "exclusive" bug - everyone says about "not working at all" (1.0 did so) and about "cultist bug" (Win98 compatibility did so), and both bugs I fixed easily. But nothing about sound. I begin to think, this is something exclusive to my Russian WinXP... 🙁
Of course, I can play in Win98. And do it, if needed. But it's simply wrong and unhandy... 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, I have to play alot of games in VPC that do not play in XP.

Does the demo of the game have this behavior?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by Wolverin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Smiling Spectre: you can DL the demo from here:
http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=4381
Also I tested the v1.2 UpdatePatched game working on WinXP SP2 sure.

EDIT
Oh, i forgot.. i uses Win95/Win98 ME Compatibility Mode on both versions
(v1.00/v1.02) to get working on XP. Had sound glitches sometimes,but
the game working without any freeze or exit.
WITHOUT setting the Compatibility mode the game was loading a while
and didn't starts (seems WH40K.EXE on Task-manager).

Reply 6 of 8, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wolverin, thank you for link, but 50Mb? 🙁 Too much for me.
1. Did you experience "cultist bug"? It appears as crash every time as cultist try to fire laspistol. It happens on my machine every time - but only if Win98 compatibility/virtual registry is on.
2. Glitches - especially in voice - appears on my machine even under native Win98. It seems conflict between music and sound. If music disabled, glitches disappears.
3. It is very strange, unreproducable bug, with compatibility. Program may start, or may not under native WinXP mode. On the first install it run (as seen in manager), then exits silently, remain only wow.exe and ntvdm. On the 1.0. After 1.2 patch it begins to work without compatibility. But when I later _reinstall_ game (without uninstall, but with manual remove all files from directory) it begins to work even under 1.0!

Addition on 10.01.06:
I gave up. It's totally mysterious for me. 🙁
1. I aquire CG at August and install it at home. It was Win98, so no errors.
2. I bring disk at work to test "cultist bug" (I have WinXP here). No bug! But no settings. With Win98 compatibility settings (and bug) reappears.
3. I install WinXP SP2 at home. And just in case reinstall CG under XP. 1.0 not works, but 1.2 just fine. But without sound.
4. I try to fiddle with game files, exes, movies, soundcard settings and smak decoder. Nothing. So I clean up all directory and reinstall CG under Win98. But patches was under NTFS, so I not seen it. No problem, I return to XP and append it. I continue to play under Win98.
5. I see reply of Wolverin, and try to look on my system... but it's nothing! %/ I not able to run CG under XP without compatibility anymore. "Illegal instruction". Now it's definitely smack bug (because some versions of smak_w32.dll allows to run game), but cultist bug appears under every settings. 🙁(
I don't understand this. Simply don't understand. Only guess I have - there is something in my system (added recently), that conflict with game now. But I have not so much installed. I can think only about dotnet - but later I uninstall it. I. Don't. Know...

Reply 7 of 8, by Wolverin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played over the game, but last my opinion (a trick for all "smacker's"
game): TRY to set OFF the videos ("smacker's"). Some of my older game
has working ONLY with this trick!! e.g. Montezuma's Return working ONLY
on WinXP if i set Fmv=OFF. I couldn't to try this on Wh40k C.G. becouse
i uninstalled last week and i'm too lazy to install again... 😢