VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This oldie was written in VB3 for windows but simply goes through the loader process and CTD's every time without a message.

I don't know if it's the NTFS drives or windows XP or something else that's causing the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has this program working or might have an idea what the cause is and/or what might work to fix it (ACT is worthless in this) (maybe it's the CPU speed??? 3Ghz hehe)

The game is essentially a PBEM 4x that was in beta and eventually dropped but was perfectly playable MP

If anyone wants to play with it I can email it to em just drop me a line at DimmurWyrd at hotmail dot com

Reply 2 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks 😀 all I could find out was it used visual basic 3 (vbrun300.dll)

the game had some really innovative features that are not used even now such as the communications if your out of FTL relay range the signal goes at light speed and such and units take time to change orders etc.

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I'm not mistaken, all VB3 applications were 16-bit. Perhaps you could run it under DOSBox with Windows 3.11? Or maybe even Virtual PC ?

Poking around with Filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com can sometimes be informative.

Reply 4 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

seems kinda silly to install an entire OS just to run one game... I know it ran under win98 but I'm not sure if it might not be the speed of my system (3Ghz) or the HT cpu or what 😒

also I don't have win 3.11 hehe... do have 98 somewhere. probably even 95 if I really hunt through the rubble. 😉

was hoping to find a way to run it with some form of wrapper. I've tried the compatibility modes built into XP with no results. I know some kinds of programs seem to ignore compatibility and run in XP mode regardless of what you set the compat too.

BTW last time I ran it I was using a 1.4Ghz machine with win98 and fat32 drives of 80G size... now I have winXP 3Ghz cpu w/HT and 250G HD 😒 old machine is long gone tho.

Reply 5 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you really think speed is an issue, then you are no doubt aware that there are many quality CPU-throttling programs available. (Throttle, for instance.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2007-02-05, 13:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess speed wasn't the issue... with the slowdown at least I get to see that it's failing at the loading stage though so perhaps it's the NTFS causing problems... seems doubtful but it's been a problem before 😒

Reply 7 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much the only way NTFS would be a problem is if there was some sort of access-rights problem, and you could make that go away by running the program as an Administrator.

Have you tried Filemon yet?

Reply 8 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nope... not sure what that is actually... and I tried a ramdisk so eliminated ntfs... I'm stuck again... mostly I was just hoping it was something simple like that I guess... I'm not particularly knowledgeable about getting older games to run hehe... older DOS games are far easier to work with than old windows games since I have yet to find a windows emulator for windows 😉

heck for all I know they used some 3rd party mem manager for it and it doesn't like 1G of ram 🤣... I miss the old compatibility system... the new one took away too much power such as limiting the ram available and so on... wish I knew how to roll back the compat mode

Reply 10 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what I said. 😜

If you think too much RAM is the problem, then you should try Xteq RAM Alloc. Just allocate a few hundred megabytes of RAM and see if the program works afterwards.

I mentioned Filemon in my first post. Take a look, why don't you? The idea is that if there is some missing file (or some file whose location is different in Windows XP than it was in Windows 98 ), Filemon should indicate it.

Reply 11 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably not a missing file. It's most likely a 16bit program that has trouble with WOW. Probably easiest solutions is emulation. I'll check the game out tonight.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no idea what filemon is... I'll try the mem alloc thing but I have a feeling dosfreak is right about it being wow since that program gets "stuck" and has to be tasked aftertrying to run xpace.exe... just noticed that.

sometimes it'll close on it's own but takes a few minutes.

Reply 13 of 15, by DimmurWyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

unfortunately using win 3.1 isn't an option since I don't have win 3.1 (as noted above hehe) win95 I have but I am hoping to be able to run this without installing a second OS let alone an OS under an emulator under an OS 🤣... but whatever I have to do I guess.

BTW thanks for all the info so far... even if they don't work for this one I am sure the programs will eventually come in handy since I am addicted to oldies.

Reply 14 of 15, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm able to get it running. Is there a certain part where it fails? I haven't finished reading the help file yet to really start playing. Still don't know how to start on turn 1, I keep getting turn 2.

Are you using another version, maybe? I got it from here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pbm/ … b088d2d6adddf15
There's a link to an archive that has version 0.505. The alternate download link on the page itself gives version 0.602.