VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by miwright

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

I've tried running Monty Python's Meaning of Life game on XP Pro (all updates installed) and am getting a peculiar sound issue. The sound APPEARS to play fine when you start the game, but when you get to the first part where you're given control and need to start clicking on things to see what happens, the voice-acting sounds and sound effects are missing. This continues until you get to a "cinematic" or "in-between" sequence over which you have no control, whereupon sound is miraculously restored...until you've got control again.

Thus far I've tried running (and re-installing) in Compatibility mode with both 95 and 98 both with the same result. And I believe VDMS and DOSBox will be of no use since this is a Windows game, not a DOS game (and I'm not sure how to force the game executable to run with VDMS when there's no option to do so when I right-click it). I have no idea what sound card is in this thing (if any) since it's my fiancés computer and a pretty old and junky one at that. I doubt it has anything much better than on-board sound.

Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated. My last resort is to try to get ahold of an old Windows 98 system...

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try going into DXDIAG and reducing sound acceleration.

VDMSound/DosBox are only for DOS games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by miwright

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, DF, that appears to have done the trick. I wish I'd have thought to try that before cluttering up the boards with another redundant post. 😒 I assume this fix helps with other games as well and I just missed seeing it in another topic/post or something.

And yes, I know those programs are only for DOS games...which is why I said that in my original post. 😉

Thanks again.

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, decreasing sound acceleration isn't mentioned too much on these forums because most problems posted here are DOS problems. Heck, even NTCompatible forums don't mention it too much either. Sound always gets the short end of the stick. (Thanks Creative for no EAX support for Audigy cards in Vista!).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline