VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duffman has returned! (after a long long silence) to ask a small question before returning to his silent hibernation!

Just wondering, on windowsXP, if this file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system (no extension)

becomes corrupted and windows can not load, do I have to reinstall WindowsXP or is there a way to fix it??

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can copy the files out of \Windows\Repair folder into your \Config folder....but usually they are outdated.

Since most people don't use ERUNT or the NTBackup System State option then the only fix in this scenario is to reinstall XP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible but not likely, it works mabye 1 out of every 10 times in my experience. I was actually quite suprised when it worked ONCE for me like last week in my usage of Windows 2000 since 1999.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak It's possible but not likely, it works maybe 1 out of every 10 times in my experience.

I'll ditto what DosFreak said. Give it a try, but a re-install is likely to be needed. If so, you should seriously consider setting up a dual-boot. With a fresh install, it's pretty easy. You just install DOS or Win9x on the 1st partition, then install XP on one of the remaining partitions.

Reply 6 of 6, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I might have to reinstall. I've got up to the desktop, but then an error message comes up before it windows restarts itself.

"When trying to update the password, this return indicates that the value typed for the current password is incorrect"

Where did this come from? I DONT HAVE A PASSWORD!?!

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)