VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I believe you have all met the problem running a game on NT system.

I have this old game named S.C.A.R.S it's some kind of drive simulator where you have chance to drive animal style cars...

The problem is that I cannot get it to run on windows xp sp2 pro.

Here is how it goes:
I activate the win98 compatibility mode on the autorun and the setup.exe files on the CD.
When I put the CD in the drive the autorun meny comes up(as it should) the music plays and everything is ok.

I click on Install button and the popup meny comes up with this choices(I can click on and off boxes):

Install SCARS
Install directx for win98
Install directx for win95
Install Indeo Multimedia (requred)
Install 3dfx glide

When I then ticking for installing scars and indeo and click on OK button, going through the indeo installation the setup of the game begins and hangs on 99% until I close the autorun menu( which crashes when closed).

I continue with the installation and the game installes well, then I go to Start-menu and try the shortcut for the game( d3d version and not the 3dfx as I have the 6600 gt card from nvidia)
The game start and I only get the black screen, nothing happens, only black screen. When I switch to the desktop with and open the task manager I can see the game as Running.
I have tried to press Enter and allmost any other buttons...

The compatibility mode for windows 95/98 is activated on the exe file.

What can I do?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

-Grub3r

Last edited by Grub3r on 2018-01-23, 11:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Open a 'command prompt' using a rightclick, select, 'Run as Administrtor'
type: cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (32bit users can skip this step) - press enter
type: regsvr32 ir50_32.dll - press enter
To undo what you have done, type: regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll
there is an error during unregistration, but it does remove it from being active.
And good idea to get latest ver 5.11

Reply 7 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am aware of two patches for S.C.A.R.S. One was is a Voodoo3 fix of some sort (scars_v3.zip). The other is referred to as a "CD fix," and it may or may not be what you are looking for (scars_cd.zip).

The Patches Scrolls still hosts both files (do a search on "S.C.A.R.S."):

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Game Front apparently hosts the CD fix as well:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/898659/scars_cd_zip

Reply 8 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found that I could never get S.C.A.R.S. to run in XP, it hard locks the PC when it starts up! I thought it might be an idea to use DOSBox running Windows95 with the 3Dfx passthrough, but that seems a lot of work!

Thanks for the patch links, I might give those a look sometime, it's better than getting hold of my old Win98/Voodoo5 PC to play it!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor