VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by paani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before, I've seen the question posted but not seen a solution.

I am running Gabriel Knight 1 using Hendroz's installer (thank you), sound and speed are fine however the graphics are horrible e.g Grace's face is just a blur. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Specs
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Card name: RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory
19' Screen

Thanks

Reply 5 of 13, by paani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed a screen shot which is attached (colours are poorer in the attached but quality the same)

Thanks

Attachments

• gk12.GIF
    Filename
    gk12.GIF
    File size
    33.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 13, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remembered, that some of the old Sierra games didn't accept the Compatibility Settings directly. Create a batch file inside the GK directory with only the following lines:

SIERRAW
PAUSE

and apply the Compatibility Settings on this batch file and use the batch file to start the game.

(GKCD.BAT should be for the DOS Version - I guess)

Reply 10 of 13, by paani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all your replies. My screenshot is a bit misleading, as I mentioned the colors are much worse in this than reality - its the best screenshot I could get. It's the real poor definition - big blurry pixels - that the problem e.g Grace's face. I have tried running 256 colour in compatibility and main mode and using the windows installer and in DOS, using some old instructions I found, all the same. I read somewhere about using a VGA driver but not sure how to do that.

Reply 11 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I repeat, why not just run the DOS version in DOSBox? You can use the VGA drive by selecting it in the RESOURCE.CFG or running the INSTALL. It won't make much difference over the VESA driver, though.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 13, by paani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but I have tried through DOSBox, set cycles to 6440 as recommended but it looks exactly the same as the Windows version. May be just the way it comes, though I don't remember it being like this when I first played it but it was a long time ago!

Reply 13 of 13, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apart from the screwed up palette, it looks fine to me. Remember, these old games were designed with a low resolution of 320x200 pixels on a small screen. That tends to look quite a bit blockier/blurrier on modern 1280x1024 (or higher) LCD screens.

Proper screenshot @ wikipedia