VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JamesJoey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed DosBox. After adding a dos game to add.bat using SendTo DosBox tells me it requires Java Runtime Environment 1.5 or higher even though I installed Java Runtime Environment 6. Is this the wrong Java?

Thanks,
James

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because your using some 3rd party frontend that requires Java?

DBGL http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/
requires Java. Is that what your using?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by JamesJoey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, a third party front end isn't triggering this message.
As far as what version of DosBox I'm using, I have no idea. There's nothing in the program that indicates this. I was given a link from a usenet newsgroup to DosBox. I downloaded it and extracted the files from the zip to a folder called DosBox--no setup file or nothing.

James

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
JamesJoey wrote:

I installed DosBox. After adding a dos game to add.bat using SendTo DosBox tells me it requires Java Runtime Environment 1.5 or higher even though I installed Java Runtime Environment 6. Is this the wrong Java?

Can you open a command prompt (Start => Run ... => cmd.exe) and enter java -version:

C:\> java -version

If you have Java 6, it should say something like:

java version "1.6.0-rc"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-rc-b123)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-rc-123, mixed mode, sharing)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JamesJoey wrote:

I don't know if this could be any help, but based on my experience, if it says 'JRE 1.5' then you should use JRE 1.5 despite the 'or higher' phrase. Once I was using an application that's supposed to use JRE 1.3, and everything went awry because I was using JRE 1.4.

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe we should start by determining which problem the original poster is trying to solve, before we post solutions?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions