VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rabu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lots of people who bought RedBaon3d with the UK SoldOut Software label find that it won't install under the XP system.
I've heard that some one has found a work around for this, if so, I would like to post it on the On-The-Edge website (rhoag.com) for others with this problem.

Thanks,

rabu ..{|8~'

Reply 1 of 17, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep well short of buying the full Sierra version like myself 😉 from http://www.surpluscdrom.com/redbaron3dbox.html
apparently you can make an ISO of the CD with a CDR program like CDRWIN/Nero etc. Then extract the files from the ISO using an ISO browser (think Nero has one with it but there are free ones around I believe) to somewhere on your drive. Then run from there. If I find the detail I will post again.

I have seen the cd as a 200+MB download zip which is fair enough if you bought the game and can't even install it.

Last edited by Slice on 2003-04-25, 03:23. Edited 1 time in total.

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce 4 motherboard
2GB Ballastix DDR500 memory
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 4 of 17, by rabu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Schadenfreude:

Unfortunately, I'm not a tech whiz. How would creating an ISO of the cd on the HD, then extracting the files onto the HD from that ISO, and then running the install from the extracted files overcome what ever was preventing the install from the cd under WinXP in the first place?

Thanks

rabu ..{|8~'

Reply 5 of 17, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know why, but it does!

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b244d6%2 … .mindspring.net
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u … c;f=62;t=000338

Good luck!

Reply 7 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it might be trying to write to a file on the CD, stupid thing, or maybe it has (and this is a wild, wild, far out there idea) some really weird type of copy protection that uses bad sectors that creating an ISO strips out. *shrug*

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 17, by rabu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm... it has to be something to do with the way the game CD installs using winXP, since it installs fine with Win98, ME, etc. Since XP doesn't use dos, maybe it has some dos function bat it uses for the install to set up files?

rabu ..{|8~'

Reply 9 of 17, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it must be a bug in the CD layout or in the way XP is handling the CD filestructure. I just tried the ISO method and it works - you can access the sub directories in the DATA directory and also copy files out of there (files that don't show up in XP explorer).

Method:
I used CDRWin to grab the CD as a track (used the "Extract Disk/Tracks/Sectors" button) then used ISOBUSTER from http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/ - freeware and shareware - to open the .bin file cd image, this lets you copy all the files out of the image to your hard drive somewhere. You can view the Data folder contents properly and extract the files fine.

XP itself produces an error when trying to see into the subdirs, but yet a CDR program can read the image fine.

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 10 of 17, by rabu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slice:
Thanks for the hlep. I posted the solution and your reply on two main RedBaron forums at Delphi: Flight Simulator and SWWISA, I also suggested that maybe some program geru could make a short probram that would do this proceedure for players trying to install the game, but that might be asking for a bit much. ..{|;~)

rabu ..{|8~'

Reply 12 of 17, by rabu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rens, at SWWISA, just suggested simply making an ISO image of the install disk with Nero (or other) and buning a new disk from the ISO, then running the install from the new copy... what do you think, will that work?
We are trying to find the easiest solution for players, many of whom have no tech abilities at all.

Thanks,

rabu ..{|8~'

Reply 13 of 17, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I tried that an lost a few disks trying. No idea why, even extracting the files, then making a CD from the files manually, then installing. It produced a slightly different error when installing. Something very odd there with the file structures.

As I say best thing is cdrwin ->image. ISObuster extract files - run from HD.

Actually I think you can look at the CD with ISObuster directly and extract files?

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 14 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried mounting the ISO with Daemon Tools or some other CD emulator? You could then prove that it's XP. Does it do the same think under NT4/2K?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 17, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I just tried mounting it under Virtual Clone Drive (CloneCD)
and it had same error.

However all other OSes read this disk OK.

Odd. Anyway current workaround is as I said.
"cdrwin ->image. ISObuster extract files - run from HD."

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 16 of 17, by Racer78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have RB2 in the box with the Sierra patch to RB3d on my HD. I have not tried to install it yet.

Will this work as well as the "full Sierra RB3 box version" you mention?

I hate to spend days figuring this stuff out after dropping a bunch on a new PC.

Sure would be nice if some of the "classic" games were updated for XP and new graphics HW.

BTW I did get GPL running and it looks about the same as it did on a 450mHz Voodoo2 AGP machine. Better frame rate and it runs smoother. Still not eye-candy.

But you gotta see WWII Fighters on a new machine. It is spectacular. It's a great sim too. They got that one right from day one.

I installed it yesterday on a 3GP4 800mHz FSB with a Radeon 9800 Pro card. It is awesome.

Racer78

Racer78

Reply 17 of 17, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RBII does not have a "Sold Out" published version so don't worry about this thread. There are some small issues running other versions of Red Baron II and 3D on XP and getting it to work 100%. Lots of help for that on SWWISA forums.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/swwisa/start

RB3D plus Full Canvas Jacket mod looks sweeet for a 6 year old game.
www.plgrafix.com

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW