VOGONS

Common searches

rainbow six

Topic actions

First post, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have quite happy to see several guys here who love old pc games and made utilities for better gameplay on modern pc

do you know, with technical explication, why rainbow six refuse to work under windows xp and when you install the add on eagle watch, the game works ?

that's very strange and i think the rainbowsix.exe need a little fix

badly, when you have eagle watch, you don't have option to play the old campaign, you can only play eagle watch campaign

the only solution is to create a sort of mods and add the campaign maps after the eagle watch. It's the r6oldmis.zip seen on this page for example : http://www.agr-s.com/html_pages/faqs_r6.htm

but since windows xp sp1 where slave zero finally decide to work (it doesn't run on windows xp for me), i am quite sure that there is a solution to launch rainbow six under windows xp

Reply 1 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is with the registry, and the original will work correctly provided you use the Application Compatibility Toolkit's "Virtual Registry" compatibility option with the installer.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 13, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you just speak about choosing properties then compatibility then choose windows 95 in compatibility mode for setup.exe on the r6 cd and then on the r6.exe on the game directory, it changes nothing for me, absolutely nothing

i use windows xp sp1 on a AThlon XP 2000+, 768 Mb, Geforce 4 Ti4200

Reply 4 of 13, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i install acp 3.0 and don't find qfixapp 🙁 so i install acp 2.6 through download.com

i have tried many options but the game displays an error "sorry, not supported on windows xp" or crashes when i tried win 95/98 compatibility mode

to be more clear :
when i used qfixapp.exe and choose the rainbowsix.exe and click on the fixes windows, it says me 57 fixes selected, 203 in total and i click on nothing of course, i just selected the exe file on my HD.
Of course virtual registry is already chosen

Reply 7 of 13, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the setup.exe on the cd already have the 57 fixes selected, 203 in total. I click on run to install the game and the same error appears when i try to launch the game

i have the gold pack edition of rainbow six for information, don't know if a particular tip is applicable

Reply 8 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover said that the particular fix that is needed is "virtual registry". Try that! On the setup program! Make sure you uninstall the game first, then enable the fix for the installer/setup program, then install the game from scratch.

Since I have the same versions of R6 and Eagle Watch, maybe I should try installing myself and making a step-by-step thing. Extermely busy doesn't come close to describing the current state of my life, however, and I never got into R6 so don't hold your breath 😜

Reply 9 of 13, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

step by step instructions but it still doesn't work for me

- launch qfixapp.exe
- click on browse and choose setup.exe from the r6 cd
- choose win 95 on layers windows
- go to fixes window and click on clear
- just click on virtual registry
- click on run
- it installs the game

ok after that, when i launch the game (non patched 1.03a because i have gold pack), i have the same problem (sorry windows nt not supported) . I don't have any error by choosing win 95 or win 98 compatibility mode

use the step by step instructions for rainbowsix.exe on the game directory, the difference is just the name of the file :
- click on run
- "sorry not supported by windows nt"

so what step is not good ? i think i have all tested and the game continues to refuse to launch

if by doing the 6 steps on the step by step instruction, you can run rainbow six and not me, i think you have to send me the rainbowsix.exe file

i will patch the game in 1.04 and will restart the "only virtual registry checked" test with qfixapp.exe. I don't have any more solution after that

Reply 11 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds simple to me:
1. Install the game using the virtual registry fix (you've done that successfully)
2. Play the game using Win9x compatability mode (you've also done that successfully)

I don't see the problem. You've now got the game working using the method that Snover described.

The installer needs the virtual registry mode to install the game properly, and the game needs to see a fake Win9x version to run. No need to make things more difficult than they have to be, right?