VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Borodin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anybody any experience or suggestions on getting Sim Town working on Windows XP? The best I can do so far is to set up a virtual machine and install WIndows 98 on that, but a simpler solution would be welcome. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 8, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two different versions -- one for Win3x and another for Win9x. Win9x version should work fine but it has a habit of stealing one of the extensions used for scripting (breaks "show desktop" icon in Win2k/XP). Win3x is WinG-based. In theory it should work but at the very least you will have to switch to 256-color mode. Feature-wise those versions are identical.

Reply 3 of 8, by Borodin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting a message that says "Not enough memory to run SimTown", whatever compatibility settings I use. I'm not sure which version I have but the installation directory has both WING and WIN32S subdirectories. Attempting to install Win32s gives a message saying that it's already supported and it offers to install Freecell as a test, which runs fine. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Borodin on 2007-06-05, 10:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like Win3.1 version -- the later version did not require neither WinG nor Win32s. I would not be surprised if this version is completely incompatible with newer systems, it was never tested with anything beyond Win3 and the other version was much easier to deal with in many respects. Try finding Win9x version. IIRC, all you need is the executable. You don't even need to bother with installer -- you can just copy all files to one folder and run. Other than that VMWare/VPC or even DOSBox (with authentic Win3.1) may be the simplest solution.

Reply 5 of 8, by Borodin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK three months on and I've managed to get SimTown working *once* but never again! I idly clicked on the icon and the thing burst into life, but after a reboot was as dead as before. Since it's giving 'not enough memory' messages I'm thinking it could well be something to do with the amount of memory actually available, i.e. I was running just enough applications to use up a magic amount and get it past the check. Anyone know if this is likely? And how to control the amount memory reported to a Windows 3.1 program? Or does this clue suggest any other solution?