VOGONS

Common searches

Help Needed

Topic actions

First post, by vipejc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attempting to play NHL Open Ice 2 on 2 Challenge via DOSBox. The game is Windows 95 compatible. Are PC games designed for Windows 95 compatible with DOSBox?

When I input the command to run said game, I encounter the error:

This program cannot run in DOS mode.

Did I do something wrong, or is said game incompatible with DOSBox?

Is Virtual Box an OS emulation program, or do you need to own a licensed copy of the desired OS to run it; e.g., Windows 95?

Do freeware Windows 95/97 emulators exist? If so, where can I download them?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosBox only runs DOS games. The error "This program cannot run in DOS mode", is the error that you would receive if you try to run a Windows program in DOS.

VirtualBox is a PC emulator. You can think of it as just another computer. Like any computer it requires an Operating System to run. So yes you will need a copy of Win95/whatever.

AFAIK, there are no "Windows" emulators (Although WINE would be the closest but it's not an emulator and it only allows Windows programs to work in Linux it does not emulate Windows) Just PC emulators.

There are tons of free PC emulators:

Virtual PC, Virtual Server, Vmware Server, Vmware Player, VirtualBox, Qemu, Bochs, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by vipejc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much for your expertise, DosFreak.

Compatibility Wizard does not solve the problem, either. The game plays perfect until the end of the 1st period. That's when I get a black screen with an accompanying Microsoft Error Report. If I were to copy-and-paste the full Microsoft Error Report, would that be of help?

Last edited by vipejc on 2007-05-08, 12:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*** Moving from DOSBox Games/Apps to Windows ***

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions