VOGONS

Common searches

Outcast

Topic actions

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy. I'm having some problem with the game "Outcast".

The game is divided in several regions, and trying to travel to one of them, Talanzaar, crashes the game.

Really, that's pretty much it.

I've tried to acess the region from several other regions - what always happens is that a small "transportation video" plays, the screen gets resized to 1024x768 (my regular desktop res, as the game plays in a much lower resolution), and the game doesn't go any further. CDAudio music still plays, and I get one of those "Oc3.exe has done something it shouldn't, and must now shut down, would you like to send an error report to M$?" dialogs. And I have no choice but to say whether or not I want to send it, which terminates the game which was frozen anyway.

I've tried setting compatibility modes, but that only ensures that the game won't load at all. I've even used AntiCrash on the exe file, but it didn't work and I didn't expect it to (it's supposed to make your PC and programs more stable. I'm undecided as to whether it works, but it harms none, so...). It always happens, and only when I try to reach Talanzaar. I can travel to any other region, no problem.

I hope this is descriptive enough, do let me know if I've left something out.

Processor type and speed - Celeron 2.40GHz
Amount of RAM - 1GB
Operating system - WinXP Pro SP2
Game name (and version, if applicable) - Outcast, v3.0 (patched)

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 2 of 13, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, I checked it out, but how does that appear to be related to my problem at all? Maybe my problem description put too much emphasis on the "transportation animation video" that played. The same thing plays everytime I change regions, and the problem only happens when I try to enter Talanzaar.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 5 of 13, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw the thread, and I simply don't dare to change my system.ini file over something like this. At any rate, it's not the same problem at all, and not related at all.

I didn't know about the teleport cheat, but now that I've tried it, I've found that exactly the same thing happens, which is interesting.

The game is not old enough to warrant CPU slowdown, nor does it suffer from the sync/timing issues that plague the ones that do. Again, it's unrelated.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 6 of 13, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. make sure that you have the correct 3.0 patch for your game. there is a "play the games compilation" patch which is smaller and not compatible with the original game.
2. try reinstalling the game with the 3.0 patch to a different directory. to avoid problems you should use the patch to install outcast (do not install OC and apply the patch after that).
3. normally outcast should work without compatibility modes in winxp, but when using it, make sure that you applied it to all .exe files (oc1.exe - oc3.exe). outcast.exe is only the launcher app...

if nothing helps, install outcast without any patches and test it with default launcher settings first.

davros was also right, outcast definitely has problems with faster CPUs (over 2ghz). but it only affects gameplay (slow moving in swamps, twon-ha not jumping...)

sysprofile.png

Reply 7 of 13, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your three pointers. Maybe it's the patch thing, I don't remember where I got it from... I need only add that whenever I applied compatibility I did it directly to oc3.exe, the game's "core", as it were.

I'll try everything you suggested tomorrow when I have the time, and then update the thread accordingly. However it pans out, though, thanks for the help.

EDIT - Well, what do you know! Reinstalling without the patch (it was the correct 11mb one, btw) solved it! I just hope I don't run into any trouble by playing it unpatched. At any rate, thanks a lot!

--Donnie Darko

Reply 8 of 13, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone direct me to a thread or links to any patches/info on running Outcast in XP? I cannot get the Outcast.exe to work (after install the Outcast shortcut wants to install the game again!) Loader.exe always tells me the wrong CD is in or no CD is in at all, and the oc1.exe, oc2.exe and oc3.exe just give me 'Bad Audio Tracks'! I have tried with no patches, I have installed with patch #1, I have installed patch #2, I have never been able to install patch #3 because it says I have an illegal copy (which I don't!)

Any help for me to play this great game again would be welcomed!

PS: I have searched on the web and only found a couple threads that have bad links and no real info. Mostly you get 'Jdi Knight: Outcast and bittorrent sites!

Reply 9 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe? http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 13, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Minimax. Turned out I had a bad patch #3 and found a good one that when installed got the game working. Thanks for replying so quickly and being so helpful - it's why I love this site! Thanks again! 😀

I have a problem of the music not playing, but I can live with that!

Reply 12 of 13, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are some good tips on www.metzomagic.com on running Outcast:

1. On the Outcast CD-ROM, right-click on Setup.exe and tweak it to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows 98/ME. Then run it to install the game.
2. Download Outcast Patch 3 and apply it.
3. If you have a late model Pentium IV with hyperthreading, or a dual core processor, you'll need to run imagecfg.exe on the Outcast.exe file.
4. Now you can run the game, and when you eventually get to the game menu, open Settings > PERFORMANCE SETTINGS, then hit the down arrow. Up the Resolution to 512 x 384, and make sure all the other settings are on High (except Depth of Field on the last page, which you can leave at Med). Then hit the 'OK' button to save your settings.
5. Finally... before you run the game, if you don't use a slow-down programme to slow down your processor, you'll find that three undesirable things will happen:

1. Combat will be difficult.
2. You'll have extreme difficulty wading through even the shallowest water.
3. You won't be able to ride a kwon-ha (you can mount him but he won't move).

So... I've had good results in the past using Turbo, but this can be tricky with dual core, as it just hops to the free core and you get no slow-down. However, I believe if you bind Turbo itself to the same core that Outcast is using, with imagecfg.exe, that it will work. I can't verify this though, as I need some time to get to the part of the game where you obtain a kwon-ha to try it. Some people have reported success with CPU Grabber.

Last edited by Marian on 2008-10-18, 14:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Marian - all good info - well done! Also recommend a freeware program called SpeedSwitchXP, which is designed to save battery power on laptops by switching the CPU power when 'Maximum Battery' option is used.. This means on my dual core it goes down for 2.8ghz down to 1ghz per cpu. Use imagecfg and turn off one cpu and you now have a 1ghz PC. This is enough for some PC's to run Outcast, but on some PC's, like mine, I still need to set my cpugrabber to around 55 to be able to avoid the twon-ha, riss field and music track playing problems.