VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to play this game, but it crashes on mi PC. At first only sound went out when I accesed the menu (and shortly after, the game locks but I could get into the menu and exit), but now the whole computer locks.

My PC:
- AMD64 x2 4600.
- Windows XP SP2 Spanish (Grim Fandango also in Spanish, but I guess that's not the enhaced XP version).
- 1 Gb RAM.
- Geforce 6600.
- Sound Blaster Live!.

Some things tried:
- Patching the game (to version 1.01)... DONE.
- Playing in 2D... TRIED.
- Patching the register to play from hard disk... DONE.
- Setting processor affinity... DONE, but going to Task Manager and back disabled sound.
- Using imagecfg to force Grim Fandango to run on monoprocessor... DONE. This last poing got rid of the sound error, but now Grim Fandango locks the computer randomly.

Any other idea?

And about imagecfg... the page where I found it is http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm but no other information is given. Any one knows who made it? Where can I download a new version? How can I use that?

Thanks in advance...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I thought it was in very early stages... and unplayable. Does it works?

EDIT: Tried, but it does not allow save & load.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried but I can't save or load. No support, no bug reports allowed, and it's the first time I'm playing Grim Fandango, so I won't finish it in a session.

By the way, after enabling Win98 compatibility, it seems more stable (now the game is patched with the official patch, patched to monoprocessor and set as Win98). Let's see if the problems are solved now.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 7, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this:
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 7 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setting Win95 or Win98/ME compatibility mode automatically disables multi-core by enabling the "SingleProcAfinity" flag (multi-core was causing sound problems with The Curse of Monkey Island for me), however this causes the mouse to be sticky in some games.