old lappy

Topic actions

First post, by mrreality13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I have gotten a old toshiba tecra 740cdt(lappy) running win 98
p1 .166 mhz w/ mmx//147 ram//5 gig hd//12x cd rom(cant boot from in bios)NO floppy
any ideas for games?

Thanx In advance

Reply 1 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrreality13 wrote:
Hi All, I have gotten a old toshiba tecra 740cdt(lappy) running win 98 p1 .166 mhz w/ mmx//147 ram//5 gig hd//12x cd rom(cant bo […]
Show full quote

Hi All,
I have gotten a old toshiba tecra 740cdt(lappy) running win 98
p1 .166 mhz w/ mmx//147 ram//5 gig hd//12x cd rom(cant boot from in bios)NO floppy
any ideas for games?

Thanx In advance

Well, first take a look at your specs: I believe P166 is still kinda slow for running non-accelerated 3D games in anything above 640x480; furthermore, it is a laptop anyway, so it is not equipped with 3dfx hardware.

However, your system is suitable for Win9x games and DOS games that can run from Windows 9x DOS. Furthermore, it is fast enough to run non-3D games. Thus, my reccomendations are:
- Fragile Allegiance (DOS in Win9x)
- Magic: The Gathering (Win9x)
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (Win9x)

Also, almost any DOS-based games like Pirates! Gold or Master of Magic should run fine on your laptop.

You may also try these 3D games, although running in resolution higher than 640x480 could be a little bit slow:
- Sandwarriors (DOS in Win9x)
- Need for Speed II (Win9x)
- Archimedean Dynasty (DOS in Win9x)
- S.C.A.R.A.B (Win9x)
- Jane's Fighters Anthology (Win9x)

By the way, Top Gun: Fire at Will runs perfectly on Win9x DOS; however, based on my experience, it doesn't recognize USB joystick, so I won't reccommend to play it on laptop.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium Tecras have slow video hardware and 80%ish compatible SB pro clones (which has OPL2 that apparently bogs the CPU down for some reason), and have cd-rom drive anomalies so good luck even getting any half-decent game to run.

though some ideas:
unreal (yes in software mode, it is playable)
extreme assault
age of empires II
Starcraft
Quake

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on what type of games you like, of course, but
the following should all work fine:

Duke Nukem 3D (awesome game),
Shadow Warrior,
Carmageddon,
Doom 1 and 2,

and all of those games have very good freeware mods and add-ons available from fan sites (use Google.com to find them).

Also there's Quake, and maybe Quake 2 will run too, and Descent and maybe Descent 2, but I'm not too fond of these games.

You can play great graphical adventures, like Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle, etc.

You can download remade DOS versions of old games, from sites like:

http://retrospec.sgn.net/
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/remakes.cgi
http://www.retroremakes.com/wordpress/

And old DOS games from:

link removed by moderator

And you might like to try emulators (programs that let you play games designed for other machines). For ZX Spectrum emulators (and *everything* else Spectrum related), try:

worldofspectrum.org

I'd recommend X128 and the SGD front-end for Spectrum games. For emulators of other consoles and computers, go to:

zophar.net

beware though, different emulators of the same computer or console can have massively different system requirements, so if an emulator runs too slowly on your laptop, try other emulators. And not all emulators run all games, or do so perfectly, you'll have to experiment or use the emulator's or the machine's forums.