VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Badspad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

S! All

I'm an "old School" RB player who spent much online time in the earlier days. I've just finished a new build and am re-immersing myself into RB3D & EAW.

System:
M$ Win98se
AMD Athlon XP+1800
512 Mg RAM
nVidia GeForce DDR w/TV Out in AGP as primary.
Twin Voodoo2 1000 cards in SLI mode.
M$ Precision Pro Joystick (standard game port... not USB)
Onboard AVI sound (Azza onboard)
DX 8.1
Lastest (or best) drivers for everything.

I have a couple issues now that have arisen:

1. For some reason I have lost sound on my system after install RB3D patch 1078. Sound worked great until I installed patch and then it went south.

2. FR is great in TB3D's "Fly Now" mode (anywhere from 40-70+ with numerous enemies) but this seem to stall the game at indiscriminate points... freezing for a couple seconds and showing FR of around 3-10. My glide is enabled fine and I'm running in 1024x768. All graphics options are set to lowest position... which accounts for the great FR but I can find no reason for the sudden stall.

3. EAW: no sound. When I installed (This was after 1078 RB3D patch) I noticed that the sound card options didn't list my onboard sound as an option. Anyone know what setting I can use in EAW to get my sound going?

Overall, I know that there were some issues with WinXP and the USB joysticks. Since I'm running Win98se & using a standard game connection I'm at a loss for what to do.

All I know is that it greatly disables the joy of a game when sound is not working. The FR freeze thing has me curious as well.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

BTW: Great board... new member today.

S!

Badspad

Reply 1 of 2, by Badspad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

S! all

I've resolved the RB3D sound issue.

Uninstalled RB3D, EAW and their respective folders. I then rebooted and did a fresh install of RB3D. When I got to the wav test I couldn't hear anything. Hmmmm... Exit RB3D install and go to control panel. It seems that I must have attempted to use a soundblaster compatible driver when installing EAW. I remember not having my Via onboard soundcard listed as an option so I selected the one I thought nearest my card. In the control panel under sound was listed a soundblaster compatible card... of which, I have not. Delete... reboot.

Fresh install RB3D and !Viola! instant sound. 1078 installed... no prob.

I am now left with one problem still perlexing me... FR in RB3D. My FR is great (as previously mentioned) but I still have the indiscriminate stalls that irritate the crud out of me. I cannot afford these in online play and never had them before in lower machines in offline play. Any ideas?

Now I also need to figure out how to re-install EAW with a sound capability... any suggestions here would be appreciated.

S!

Bad

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While you're fully welcome here, if you wish to get into a finely detailed discussion of Red Baron 3D, you might also check out http://www.wings-of-valor.org/ and also try the message boards at http://www.simhq.com , they seem to have a degree of tech knowledge along with an interest in "sims".

Red Baron 3D seems to have one of the most rabid ...err... "enthusiastic" fan bases out there. I have to admit I'm amazed at what some people have been able to squeeze out of this games with custom modifications.