VOGONS

Common searches

C&C Red Alert

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DustinE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i have got to get a way to run this game under windows 2000!

when i try to install it says that it cant work in NT 5.0

I have windows 2k with sp3 and a NTFS partition....

Reply 2 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Longer version from here:

1. Opened up my CD drive via My Computer. (right click on drive, and select open)

2. Right click on SETUP.EXE, and select "Properties."

3. Click on the compatibility tab, then click on the box that says, "Run this program in compatibility mode for," and select Windows 95.

Make sure you don't select Windows 98\ME, because of certain issues with Windows ME compatibility. The game works with Windows 98\ME compat. but the game will go slower and choppy.

4. Click Apply[if it appears] and then click OK.

5. Then open SETUP.EXE [the one you just did the compatibility thing with)

6. Install the game like normal. Viola! No more damn "Windows 5.1 detected..This game designed for Windows 95" crap. woohoo!

7. Go to this website: http://westwood.ea.com/html/techsupp/patches.html#ra

8. Click on the update that matches your language.

9. Download and install the above update.

10. Go to your Red Alert folder. (usually installed to C:\Westwood\Red Alert)

11. Right click on each of the following files, and click properties, then compatibility, then check the box, and then select Windows 95. (you will need to do this on each file individually) :

RA.exe
RA95.exe
RASetup.exe
RunGame.exe
RunMap.exe
EDWin.exe

12. Apply everything, and close out of everything.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Run the game with RA95.exe.

Reply 6 of 24, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm making a database fix for it, hold. The fuckers deleted QFixApp off my computer, I gotta find where I uploaded it, because apparently Compatibility Administrator doesn't actually work, and I'm still getting a Windows 5 error message.

Uh, yeah. Compatibility Administrator is shit and doesn't work.

So, yeah.

Get QFixApp and then use that to run the program. Should fix you up nicely.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DustinE There is not a compatiblity mode any where in any tab... yet i have windows 2k with SP3

Then something's wrong at the OS-level. Win2K with SP3 should have a compatibility tab for every Windows executable.

Any other Win2K users know about this?

Reply 16 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover [/i][B]Nicht, bad. Down. They only show up on SHORTCUTS,...[/quote] Hold on, soomeone's lying then...I saw somebody stating the opposite...and recently too... Hrmmm... I thought SP3 was supposed to do that for you... [quote][i]Originally posted by DustinE wrote:

Yiy Yiy, My everyone in my fam runs WIndows 2k (Pro or Adv. Server) but none of us have conmpatabily tabs.

Did you register the SlayerUI DLL like he said?

Reply 17 of 24, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DustinE wrote:

Yiy Yiy, My everyone in my fam runs WIndows 2k (Pro or Adv. Server) but none of us have conmpatabily tabs.

I also tryed making a short cut... dont work.

DustinE, before anything else take a look at the \WINNT\AppPatch folder in your machine. It should be there if you have Windows 2000 SP3 and slayerui.dll must be there. If it is there, then run

regsvr32 slayerui.dll

You should get a dialog saying that the registration succeeded. If you got this far, create a shrotcut for any 32-bit Windows executable (\winnt\explorer.exe is fine) and look for the compatibility tab in the properties dialog for the shortcut. Remember that shortcuts for DOS or 16-bit Windows programs won't have the compatibility tab, since it only applies for 32-bit programs (Windows 95 or later).

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by MajorGrubert Remember that shortcuts for DOS or 16-bit Windows programs won't have the compatibility tab, since it only applies for 32-bit programs (Windows 95 or later).

*Red Flag pops up*
*Nicht grabs Red Flag and caps it to win the game!*
*tumultuous applause*
Oh wait..."Red Flag" as in, I know there's a DOS version of "Red Alert" as well as the Win9x version. You're not trying to install the DOS version are you?