VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Despite being programmed in 1999, this program seems to have major issues running on NT-based OSs despite EA claiming to have gotten it working properly on Windows XP and having a support page regarding getting it functioning.

Game will install and start up fine, the park selection screen functions properly, but once you attempt to enter a park it will crash and do some stupid file lock that requires the system to be restarted in order to fix. Same crash will occur if attempting to access Online. Software or Hardware rendering makes no difference. Sound hardware acceleration makes no difference.

Win98 compatibility mode crashes the game's SafeDisc verification.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Game will install and start up fine, the park selection screen functions properly, but once you attempt to enter a park it will crash and do some stupid file lock that requires the system to be restarted in order to fix.

Hrmm. Don't remember seeing this...been awhile.

*stares at the piles of refuse laying about while wondering about CD location*

Reply 2 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I don't recall it either, and I'm almost certain I had my W2K box when I got the game.

The reason I say file lock is because when I tried running another program it panicked and said there was no free space on my hard drive.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here it is...

Naughty, naughty programmers:
http://www.adamhearn.co.uk/games/themeparkwor … pwwin2kfix.html

NOTE: I have never seen "Turn off advanced text services for this program" as a compatibility option.

Also note that I had to switch "Windows 9x" compatibility OFF, for it work properly after this patch/hack.

Reply 4 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One problem ends, another problem begins.

Now when I'm in-game, after ~1 month, the game starts taking up 99% CPU and runs terribly. I'm trying a couple things to see if I can't fix this one though.

If I don't kill the TP.ICD process manually (eg. if I try to quit from inside the game) the game does its stupid system fuckup and I have to restart, but even after restart the game still bombs.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover One problem ends, another problem begins.

Will try mine again. Might try contacting him as he said he played it a lot and hasn't reported this problem.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I went back to mine and tested, but only in "Instant Action" mode. Can't seem to find my docs...anyway...ran fine except for occasional 1-2 second "pauses", much like I used to get with games that used "looping" CD-Audio tracks. No crashes, lockups...Apparently I played for about 3 hours (wow...so that's what playing a game instead of just testing it is like...had forgotten...), apparently this was the equivalent of 4 game-years.

Need other people's input on it, especially Win2k people.

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have this game nor have I ever played it...but .ICD....Does this game use any type of copy protection?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Try it in Full Simulation mode. That's what I was using.

Will give it another shot...

Originally posted by DosFreak Don't have this game nor have I ever played it...but .ICD....Does this game use any type of copy protection?

From the 1st post:

Win98 compatibility mode crashes the game's SafeDisc verification

So, yes, it uses SafeDisc for copy-protection

Reply 11 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went back and ran it in "Full Simulation" for over a year, no lockups or crashes. Only problems were the annoying 1-3 second "freezes" where the audio loops. It always came back to me...just annoying.

Reply 12 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, I should have posted my fix here way back 😀 Not sure why I didn't although it's not that old a game I suppose!

Anyways, I've updated the page beyond recognition and it includes a little more information and better details.

There are two sound issues: hangs and clipping. The sound clipping issue is being logged by QSound DLL but I'm not sure if it's a QSound DLL, DirectX or the sound card drivers issue. The feedback I've had so far would suggest it's not the sound card/drivers themselves as there are many different cards in use with the same problem. The sound hanging problem I've never personnaly had so I've little idea what that could be.

I've not got (and cannot find) any later/different versions of the QSound DLL (QMixer.dll) to try. I may have another idea to try out though.

Best of luck anyways!

Edit : It's still at the same place as above 😀 !!

Last edited by Reckless on 2003-09-13, 16:53. Edited 1 time in total.