VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I last played this game in about 2004, and the game worked perfectly then. I'm still using the same PC that I was using back then, and I'm still using WinXP.

Right after a fresh install, running the executable causes the screen to turn black for a fraction of a second, then it dumps me back to the desktop. I tried every compatibility mode, but nothing helped. Then I got the bright idea to try uninstalling Quicktime 3 (automatically installed with the game) and installing qtalternative in its place. After I did that, the game ran, but the movies just showed a black screen (but were completely audible). After some more experimenting, I found that if I set the ingame display mode to "line double," which is one setting below "full resolution," the movies will be visible. Unfortunately, the videos and general gameplay for that matter now look bad.

edit:
I just tried another experiment. I coped my Jman3 installation folder to my laptop, which the game has never been installed to. I inserted the DVD in the laptop's drive, ran the game, and it said something like "could not initialize Quicktime." So I downloaded qtalternative on the laptop, installed it, and then the game ran perfectly on my laptop (aside from an annoying quirk that I understand why it occurs, affects all games on my laptop, that I cannot fix, and that I prefer not to explain).

Also, maybe this is a coincidence, maybe not, but if I try to play one of the .mov files on the disc on my laptop, Media Player Classic automatically opens, and it just plays. But if I try to play a .mov file from the disc on my desktop, I get about a quarter second of playback, and then it crashes with this:
errrh6.png
errxr6.png

Any ideas on how I can get the game to run on my desktop *and* have the full resolution video output?

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should try uninstalling all fancy codec packs you may have and installing QuickTime version from game cd (if any).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 11, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do other, completely-different MOV files play correctly on your desktop?

I just tried downloading a .mov file from Gametrailers. When I open it with mediaplayerclassic, it crashes immediately.

Sounds like you installed Quicktime Alternative.

So I said in my second paragraph. And Quicktime Alternative is also installed on my laptop, which handles the game just fine (and is definitely using qtalternative to play the game's movie files since no other Quicktime player has ever been installed on it).

Reply 8 of 11, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

go to www.apple.com and download a proper copy of quicktime?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's also a good idea. If nothing else, perhaps installing and uninstalling the latest official version of Quicktime might clean up the leftovers from the QT3 install that might be causing the problem on your desktop, if that is in fact the case.

Reply 10 of 11, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried a bunch of official versions of Quicktime. Version 4 and 5 give me the same problem as version 3. Version 6 gives me the same problem as qtalternative. Version 7 won't even install (and I'd really rather not have it installed if I don't have to). This pops up towards the end of the installation:
qterrau6.jpg

And then the installer rolls itself back.

Reply 11 of 11, by drdark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try This:

1) Install Quicktime (I have '7', should work with '6', not sure about QTA).
2) Open the Control Panel> Quicktime settings.
3) Go to the Advanced tab.
4) Under 'Video', select "Safe mode (GDI only)".
5) Click 'OK' to save settings, then run the game.

Note: Image attached.

Attachments

• JP3_QT Settings.jpg
    Filename
    JP3_QT Settings.jpg
    File size
    42.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Quicktime Control Panel settings for Journeyman Project 3.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception