VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to post it here but this is driving me insane.
I tried following the instructions but it didn't work.
Automatic settings won't work.
So I tried setting it up manually and I entered:

-SSD (Wireless network name)
-Encryption type
-Wireless key (since manual configuration is the only place I found I can enter that

All those data are verified

What else can I try?

Also I have a .wpn file I just exported from another computer in the same network (With Windows XP), is there any way to import it?

HP Wireless utility for Vista is completely useless

Any suggestions are welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be a bit more specific than "it didn't work". What exactly is going wrong?

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 2 of 4, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's it, I can't figure it out. Vista just says Impossible to connect to [Network_name]

Then I let it do the diagnosis and only now it says ...because the network rejected the association request that was sent by the computer in use

Reply 3 of 4, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi butterfly!

Wireless networking can be tricky to set up sometimes, so one must try to understand the it's basic principles.

Make sure of the following:

- Your SSID is the same on the PC and wireless router.

- The encryption type must also be the same (WEP or WPA, the 2nd is more secure) on both ends. Beware that both router and receiver have to support the encryption method, otherwise you won't establish a connection.

- The wireless key must be exactly the same on your router/pc, as that is used to encript your connection and acts a decripter to allow access to specified network name and encription type.

- Did you check your signal quality/strength? If there's any radio device interference, your receiver may have trouble communicating to the access point.

- Are you sure there aren't (m)any obstacles between receiver and router? The radio waves can be blocked/reflected by objects/doors/walls/et cetera.

- Have you tried reducing the distance between both devices? Depending on the physical infrastructures, the radio signal have a lower range than advertised by the manufacturer.

- Maybe try increasing the transmiting power of your receiver antenna (usually defined in the manufacturer's application installed on your PC).

- And last, but not least, if you have neighbours with wireless internet, the most common cause of signal corruption/interference is the proximity of the channel used. Most manufacturers set " 6 " as a default. If all your neighbours have also configured channel 6 (or very close, like 5 or 7), you're very likely to get interference from them (and vice-versa) because of the radio waves being transmitted on a very similar frequence.
Your best shot here is trying to keep 6 channels "away" from them (the ideal or a best case situation, would be you="1" or "11" and they="6", ensuring a "safe distance" to avoid signal corruption/interference).

Hope this helps! If it doesn't, either get a pc geek/nerd friend of yours to set it up or spend some much needed time studying the principles of wireless networking.

Good luck and let me know how it goes...! 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I feel kind of an idiot, can we make this thread disappear? I had forgot to add the wireless card's MAC address to the allowed cards to connect to the router...
Now everything works