VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ET

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I recently bought a new computer with geforce 8500 / windows xp and DirectX 9.0c. The old one was also XP and DX 9.0c , but the video card was radeon 9250.

For some reason, when I switch to full screen , I get blur effect as if I choose "motion blur" filter. It is fine if I switch to surface output instead of ddraw.

The big problem is that it also happens with other emulators like mame and FCEU.

I looked into the Nvidia's control panel and Dxdiag, and couldn't find anything there about 2D image filter. Maybe it is connected to 3D somehow.

I also couldn't find any other posts with this problem. The blur effect is nice, but not as default!

can it be hard coded intro the driver?!

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did you also get a new monitor (a TFT perhaps)? Because whenever these monitors switch away from their one and only resolution (for example 1028x1024), like when you are running a 640x480 Dosbox window fullscreen, it gets blurry. I hope someone can explain this better 😀

Edit: I really should read more closely, you wrote in the subject that it's the same LCD... No idea then, but you will probably have to fiddle around with the resolution, aspect and so on stuff in dosbox.conf.

Last edited by Dominus on 2007-09-20, 16:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It was better in the old days when LCD's were expensive. Then old people with bad eyesight could afford them: Problem solved.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 14, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read somewhere that DirectDraw has a built in filtering that makes it blurry. As it is a new device, try out OpenGL this should do the trick. This is a bit slower on some systems.

Als set the fullresolution in the conf file to 640x480 (best res for most TFTs)

Also try to set a scaler like Normal3x or something.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 4 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, to get no filtering at all, you should set "fullresolution=0x0" (and hope that your desktop uses your LCD's native resolution. Then an output setting like "openglnb" can give you an absolutely unfiltered DOS experience 😉

Reply 6 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is "use desktop resolution", even twice: DOSBox contains code to handle it as a special case, and according to the SDL API docs, that wouldn't even be neccessary, as width=0/height=0 is documented to use the "current" resolution anyways.

Reply 7 of 14, by ET

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough : I can solve the problem on Dosbox by trying other modes, but because I use other emulators , I want to know if I can fix it on the driver / control panel level.

I have some games on lowres that use directdraw (mega man x3) , and have no problem.

Maybe I should try the windows forum? although it's more emulation related.

EDIT: for some reason it's fine now, even with directdraw, and even MAME is ok. Only the FCEU nes emulator still have problems. However, it also happens on stretched window mode, so maybe it's not directdraw fault...

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

MOVED

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 14, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your "problem" is a feature of nVidia cards called "doublescan". When you run in low-resolutions the video-card doubles it in hardware for higher resolutions so that LCD monitors won't be trying to draw a single pixel using several physical pixels. Turn off doublescan and you will be back to normal, although on LCD monitors unless you are running in the native resolution or half the native resolution, expect distortion.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 11 of 14, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
`Moe` wrote:

It is "use desktop resolution", even twice: DOSBox contains code to handle it as a special case, and according to the SDL API docs, that wouldn't even be neccessary, as width=0/height=0 is documented to use the "current" resolution anyways.

Actually what it means is current video mode *or* desktop resolution if video mode is not set. So having a 640x480 SDL window (on some larger desktop) and trying to switch to fullscreen will change display mode to 640x480 😀. Too bad SDL does not have your SDL_GetDesktopMode 😉

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 13 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a CRT monitor and get this blurring... so it is not tft only prob

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website