VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some time ago I had trouble playing games with audio tracks by mounting images in DOSBox, but that got solved in this thread, as I got all the help I needed and then some... Thanks guys! 😎

The issue now is in Win XP Pro SP2, as I'm trying to play Tie Fighter 95 (from Totally Games, the version with 3D acceleration support) with a BIN/CUE image yet I can't hear the audio soundtrack while inflight.

If I use a BIN/CUE from a normal audio CD and load it up with Alcohol or Daemon Tools, I can play/hear the CD(via image) just fine!

By playing with my Tie Fighter CD inserted, I can play the game and hear the soundtrack just fine (there's only 3 tracks, btw) while inflight.

But when I load the *.CUE file (the actual loaded image has the audiotracks and I can play them using UltraISO, for example), the game runs just fine, except it has no audio soundtrack to be heard inflight...

Reply 1 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The whole X-Wing Collectior series only plays CD Audio when inserted in the first CD-ROM drive, not the drive the CD is really inserted in. It's really too bad they haven't kept the midi soundtrack 🙁

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for trying to help, gulikoza...

But the thing is that I don't have problems using the CD to play with soundtrack. The problem only happens when I load the CD image (as described above)... Only then I can't hear the soundtrack.

I do have 2 other virtual (CD) drives (besides HD partitions)...

So are you trying to say if I change the virtual drive letter to be the first CD/DVD letter available it should work fine? I'm pretty sure I have a virtual drive before my real drive, but I'll check that later today, when I get home from work.

Oh, and I really like the audio soundtrack 😀 ! It only plays during flight, though, but the rest is all MIDI music...

Reply 3 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if the game uses driver letters, it might go directly to the first CD device it finds...I know audio only works in one of my drives 😀
MIDI soundtrack was great because it was dynamic, CD Audio quickly becomes boring 😉

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gulikoza wrote:

The whole X-Wing Collectior series only plays CD Audio when inserted in the first CD-ROM drive, not the drive the CD is really inserted in. It's really too bad they haven't kept the midi soundtrack 🙁

Does the X-Wing Collector series play any audio CD inserted in the first CD-ROM drive, like this game?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Does the X-Wing Collector series play any audio CD inserted in the first CD-ROM drive, like this game?

Well, I don't know about that game (Warlords III: Darklords Rising), but I can confirm that (at least) Tie Fighter 95 (Collector series) only plays the audio tracks inflight if the CD/DVD drive letter is the first one (after any HD partitions).

It's quite strange that by changing the actual DVD drive letter (so that it's not the first one, the audio tracks don't play after that change). And by changing the drive letter of the virtual CD/DVD to be the first one, not even then (with the loaded image) do the audio tracks play at all... Really strange!

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't stand the Collectors' Series X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Without the MIDI music the games are almost boring. I really never liked redbook audio; way too non-interactive. The original scores of the games were way more fun, and a break from the overly-used John Williams stuff.

If they'd gotten IMUSE working in those Win95 releases, they'd probably be the best editions of the games ever released. But they couldn't be bothered to and it said something about how much they cared about them. IMUSE MIDI was a major part of those games. Same with Dark Forces and other Lucasarts games from those days.

BTW, I also disliked X-Wing Alliance a bit for its use of the tired John William soundtracks. It did use a new digital audio form of IMUSE, but no original score.

I've also never had great luck with mounted CD images and redbook audio playback. It's sort of voodoo magic as to under which circumstances it will actually work.

Reply 7 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your input is much appreciated, swaaye! 😎

Regarding the X-Wing and TIE Fighter Collectors' Series, I have to admit that I was enjoying it mostly for the enhanced graphics (and speeched briefings), as the rest seems pretty much the same, besides the redbook audio, which obviously lacks those dynamic changes. Why on earth didn't they release it with some compressed format like mp3 is beyond me...

Guess I should hunt down the Collector Series for DOS then.

About X-Wing Alliance, I must say it's one the best in the series, despite not always following the movie storyline. Sound, gameplay, graphics, nice story... Has pretty much captured my interest from beginning to end. 😀

As for the mounted CD images and redbook audio playback, I thought it could be the way the image was created (like requiring a specific software or something), but it appears I'm not the only one with the problem, so... Go figure! 😖