VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've been trying for a while to get my old Microsoft Force Feedback controllers to work in Windows XP. But recently I realized that Windows XP already has the drivers for these controllers, and installing the software from the CD's is not necessary.

That's not the problem though.

My Dell XPS 600 has a Sound Blaster X-Fi card, which does not have a gameport on it. It has a different sort of port with more pins on it. Somehow, I'm lead to believe that there might be a way to convert this port into a gameport so that I can connect either my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro or the Force Feedback Steering Wheel. Is there such an adapter on the market?

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think there should be a gameport->USB adapter around. There is AnythingtoUSB so this should exist as well 😀
So a quick glance at ebay (seach gameport usb) does reveal a couple of those, the price around US $6.00 (some less some more).
Probably cheaper to get one of those than to find the X-Fi adapter if one exists.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the ones I've done research on say that they won't support Microsoft's force feedback joysticks...and are in excess of $15-$20. I'm hesitant to use eBay at this point, due to poor luck with game controller hardware from there in the past (a Sega Saturn 3D controller with a partially rusted connector).

Force feedback support is critical. Though I did just have a thought - I may have a free slot inside my computer which I could use to install a gameport card. Unfortunately I can't even find evidence that those exist, let alone what kind of slot they would need (as I'm not sure if my XPS has regular PCI slots on it).

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 3 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That crazy port is called AD_Link; it's apparently for plugging in Creative's external "I/O console" device. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it can in any way be adapted to a gameport.

There used to be such a thing as a dedicated gameport card, but I don't know if such a thing would be available for your system; someone smarter than me will have to determine that.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 4 of 5, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The easiest way to solve it would be to buy a used PCI soundcard with a gameport.

It seems those USB to gameport converters don't work with everything.