VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RAMChYLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

First of all, I'm new here, so please don't flame me if this has come up before - I already tried searching the forums but was overwhelmed with thousands of irrelevant results.

I just picked up Final Fantasy 8 for the PC last week. While I have successfully got it to install and have done some permission settings to get it to run in limited user mode, I'm having graphical issues with the game. The game would display black boxes all over the screen at random spots. Applying all the patches did not help. I have searched the net and all replies point to a hardware issue - apparently the 7800GTs I have in the computer no longer supports something called palletized textures, which Final Fantasy 8 relied heavily upon.

I would like to know if there are any programs out there that would allow me to emulate palletized texture support on the cards. I would rather not open up the system to swap cards in and out (the system is very fickle and prefers that people not mess with it's innards). Software rendering works, but I lose SLI and anti-aliasing. Also, I'm unable to get it to detect the hardware MIDI/soundfont support on my SoundBlaster X-Fi (which I recall reading that the game supports). The only MIDI option I get is the software based Microsoft Synthesizer.

Any help would be appriciated, or if all fails, I guess I'm stuck with software everything, which is a pity.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RAMChYLD wrote:

Hi,

First of all, I'm new here, so please don't flame me

*flames noob* 😁

RAMChYLD wrote:

I would like to know if there are any programs out there that would allow me to emulate palletized texture support on the cards. I would rather not open up the system to swap cards in and out (the system is very fickle and prefers that people not mess with it's innards).

Hold on, this is interesting.

If your mobo comes with two PCI Express X16 slots, then you can buy GeForce FX PCI Express --the last GeForce line that supports 16 bit palleted textures.

However, here's the catch; Windows can only use primary display adapter for 3D acceleration. When using both AGP and PCI video cards, selecting primary display can be done in BIOS; I don't know whether you can do such thing with two PCI Express video cards, though. Anyone?

Mind you, if your mobo comes with a PCI slot, then you can just put an old PCI video card like Voodoo3 or TNT2 to support 16-bit palleted textures.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played through this just a little while ago, though I was using my AGP ATI 9600XT and Windows 98SE.

Anyway, there's a modification or two for this game that purports to enhance the music. Perhaps one of them might help?

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

If your mobo comes with two PCI Express X16 slots, then you can buy GeForce FX PCI Express --the last GeForce line that supports 16 bit palleted textures.

8bit Paletted you mean surely?

I've had no problem with 'palettized textures' - the driver should automatically convert them to 24/32bit when loaded. If it doesn't anymore then the driver sucks. I haven't used nvidia cards in years though but I don't have this issue on my ATI cards

Try downgrading your drivers. I know later nvidia drivers screw dx7 and earlier support. (as well as pre-OpenGL 2.0 support too, and ATI's latest windows driver also does that)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

8bit Paletted you mean surely?

Duh, I mean 8 bit palleted textures. And yes, GeForce 5 supports this old feature --at least that's what people said.

Just for the record. The 6800 series and above does not support 8 bit palleted textures. You will find this is the case with most modern hardware. The fact that the test was passing was probably a driver inaccuracy. It simply not neccasary these days in modern hardware. Anything Geforce FX/Geforce4/Geforce 3 and lower do support this function in hardware.

and this.

According to the OpenGL extension supported cards include: Intel 810/815. […]
Show full quote

According to the OpenGL extension supported cards include:
Intel 810/815.

Mesa.

Microsoft software OpenGL implementation.

Selected NVIDIA GPUs: NV1x (GeForce 256, GeForce2, GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Go, Quadro, Quadro2), NV2x (GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, Quadro DCC, Quadro4 XGL), and NV3x (GeForce FX 5xxxx, Quadro FX 1000/2000/3000). NV3 (Riva 128) and NV4 (TNT, TNT2) GPUs and NV4x GPUs do NOT support this functionality (no hardware support).
Future NVIDIA GPU designs will no longer support paletted textures.

S3 ProSavage, Savage 2000.

3Dfx Voodoo3, Voodoo5.

3Dlabs GLINT.

In modern hardware, the same functionality can be achieved by using fragment shaders, but that fact won't help you to run old games.

(one thing I know for sure; my old GF 4600 Ti runs FF7 without problems)

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.