VOGONS

Common searches

Carmageddon

Topic actions

First post, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Carmageddon CD-ROM full original UK version.

Here's what I've tried:

Virtual PC 4.36 [Win95 (4.00.950) Guest OS]: Both DOS & Win95 versions work flawlessly but slowly in SVGA & VGA modes.

In Windows with VDMSound: Dos version works fine in standard VGA mode. In SVGA mode (using carma.exe -hires) and nolfb the game hard locks my PC. The Windows 95 version loads fine in both VGA and SVGA modes but occasionally gives me C++ runtime errors. I can't give you any details as I haven't seen any in a while but I will post details when I recive another.

Since the vga dos version is the most stable under standard Windows with VDMSound that's what I've been using, but I'd like the SVGA version to run stably and with speed (which is an issue under VPC).

I had a look at the Window Application Compatibilty Toolkit 2.6, but it didn't have an entry for the game, and I'm baffled as to where to begin with the whole thing in general.

Anyhow here's hoping someone will have some ideas.

Windows XP Pro SP1
VDMSound 2.0.4 update 1

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi Virtual PC 4.36 [Win95 (4.00.950) Guest OS]: Both DOS & Win95 versions work flawlessly but slowly in SVGA & VGA modes.

No surprise there, action games (especially SVGA action games) are not a strength of "Virtual PC". Video performance usually limits it to strategy or adventure games.

In Windows with VDMSound: Dos version works fine in standard VGA mode. In SVGA mode (using carma.exe -hires) and nolfb the game hard locks my PC. The Windows 95 version loads fine in both VGA and SVGA modes but occasionally gives me C++ runtime errors. I can't give you any details as I haven't seen any in a while but I will post details when I receive another.

Not a whole lot of info on Carmageddon as most people seem intent on running it with GliDOS. Runtime errors....hrmm. Haven't heard a whole lot about these with Windows executables.

Since the vga dos version is the most stable under standard Windows with VDMSound that's what I've been using, but I'd like the SVGA version to run stably and with speed (which is an issue under VPC).

I would lean towards the Windows version. If someone can find a way of patching the executables to avoid runtime errors...

I had a look at the Window Application Compatibilty Toolkit 2.6, but it didn't have an entry for the game, and I'm baffled as to where to begin with the whole thing in general.

Well, that's kind of the idea of the board. A group of people trying to come up with solutions instead of people working all on their own.

Anyhow here's hoping someone will have some ideas.

Will try to track down my CD....