VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have installed Warcraft II Battle.Net Edition under XP, because i wanted to see the small interface improvements over the DOS version, which i'm playing currently. The single player part of the game seems to work OK, but when i click on "Multiplayer", the game crashes to the desktop without an error message. I've tried all compatibility options, but that didn't solve the problem. The game creates a textfile with debug info, but the only (more or less) usable info is "Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION". I already searched the web for info on the problem, but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone experienced similar troubles, or has anyone successfully played the game in multiplayer mode (LAN or Battle.Net) on Windows XP?

Here's some more details:
- WarCraft II Battle.Net, English version, installed from CD
- Updated to v2.02 (latest update)
- Computer: P4/2.6Ghz/1GB RAM/Radeon X1650/latest Catalyst
- Windows XP SP2 (German), latest patches installed, DirectX November/07 installed

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2007-12-05, 21:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ehhh... I didn't use Battle.Net until now, but i always thought it supports TCP/IP, like any other self-respecting multiplayer function (; . AFAIK, IPX/SPX is not routable, so it wouldn't be able to connect to a computer outside the LAN, which would make Battle.Net pointless. Guess i'll have to read up on Battle.Net a bit.

To answer your question, no, i don't have it installed. Will try to install it & run the game later.