VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this game will work in Windows XP, but I'll have to go to my laptop's control panel > display > settings > advanced > troubleshoot and mode the acceleration slider (it's originally set to full; all the way to the right, and I moved this slider 2 notches to the left, clicked "apply", then "ok", and cleared compatibility mode in Independence War's Properties settings and tried to run the game. Still no luck; game won't even start up; no logo screen. But now I'm positive that there's some way I'll be able to get this game running on my laptop somehow with help but just haven't found the trick that makes IW run in XP yet. (I'm just trying to stay positive) I'm just hoping that someone here on GB will be able to help me to get Independence War running on my laptop's Win XP. Just now I've turned off 3D acceleration on my laptop's video card and tried the game. No luck; it didn't run. Plus, I've kept the Win XP's compatibility mode at "run game in 640x480 resolution at 256 colors" checked in the compatibility setting under properties for Independence War all this time, and no luck.

My laptop has Windows XP Home (I think), 1 GB RAM, a 40 GB hard drive with 24 GB free space on it, an ATI Radeon X300 64MB graphics card, a 3 GHz processor, and about the motherboard, please don't ask me about it because I don't know anything at all about motherboards.

P.S. I've already tried compatibility mode and running the game in Virtual PC 2004 in which I have Windows 95 installed into this virtual machine, but no go; the game didn't run either way.

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only ever gotten IW: Neutronium to work in Qemu/Vmware (Windows 98SE guest). The game works fine in Windows 98SE on a real computer as well.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 19, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't find any solutions here, I would suggest having a look at the official Independence War Forums at Atari:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdis … ?s=&forumid=137

The FAQ at the top of the forum has some info on running the original I-War using the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit under Windows XP (even though it is labeled IWar2 FAQ). Also, if you look through the posts you will find a number that relate to users such as yourself who are trying to get it to run under XP, so you may find solutions there as well.

Reply 4 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've downloaded the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit from the link on the "IWar2 FAQ (Repost) - Atari Forums" and followed the instructions for using it; the game still wouldn't run at all, so I ran the compatibility toolkit a second time and selected "run in 640x480 resolution at 256 colors" and "windows 95" for the compatibility modes and again tried to run the game. Still no luck; it wouldn't start, let alone run.

Reply 5 of 19, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as I mentioned there are a number of other threads in that forum where users are trying to get it to work under Windows XP, and some of them claim that it is necessary to use a Glide wrapper in addition to or instead of the Windows ACT approach that you just tried. The FAQ has some Glide instructions just below the Windows ACT instructions, so you might try that route.

Reply 6 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm back. I found these instructions on the Internet (google.com)

1) Install Zeckensack's glide wrapper

**2) Limit your pagefile to < 512mb (Not a problem if you have a large amount of memory)--I don't know how to do this: could you post a tutorial on how to do this?

3) Set the game's 3Dfx Vooodo 1 and 3Dfx Voodoo 2 shortcuts to use windows 95 / 98 compatibility mode. (See XP help about compatibility mode)
4) Run the voodoo1 or voodoo2 shortcut
5) Enjoy the game in its 3Dfx glory!

I hope someone can help me. I can't get Independence War Delux Edition to run. I have a P4 1.5gig with a gig of ram, GForce2 MX/MX400 graphics card, DirectX 8.1, Soundblaster Live sound. WindowsXP SP1 with all patches and all drivers are newest. I have tried compatability mode and all the fixes suggested on the web site all to no avail. The game crashes to the desktop from a black screen when the shortcut is clicked, and I have tried starting it from the exe file in Exporer too. It does this in compatability mode for Win98. In any other mode(including XP) it does nothing when clicked. HELP! I e-mailed tech support 2 weeks ago, twice, and have gotten no responce. Reply to author Forward

Stephen Robertson View profile
More options Jan 2 2003, 7:17 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-simFrom: "Stephen Robertson" <st...@particle-systems.com>Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:13:10 -0000Local: Thurs, Jan 2 2003 7:13 am Subject: Re: Independence War HELP!Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author "mac173" <boe...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:3E13A8E5.4050305@optonline.net... > I hope someone can help me. I can't get Independence War Delux Edition to > run. I have a P4 1.5gig with a gig of ram, GForce2 MX/MX400 graphics > card, DirectX 8.1, Soundblaster Live sound. WindowsXP SP1 with all > patches and all drivers are newest. I have tried compatability mode and > all the fixes suggested on the web site all to no avail. The game > crashes to the desktop from a black screen when the shortcut is clicked, > and I have tried starting it from the exe file in Exporer too. It does > this in compatability mode for Win98. In any other mode(including XP) it > does nothing when clicked. HELP! I e-mailed tech support 2 weeks ago, > twice, and have gotten no responce. Sorry you're having problems running I-War Deluxe I-War Deluxe has been successfully run under Windows XP, but we can't guarantee it'll work as it was never designed to run under an NT based operating system. Additionally it was originally designed to run on Pentium 90 / 120 PCs, and so can exhibit some strange behaviour when running on today's modern 1, 2 and 3Ghz PCs. The best way to get it running more reliably is to temporarily disable DirectDraw support. You can do this by running the DXDIAG program. 1. Click the start button, and select run. 2. Type dxdiag in the box, and press return. 3. The DXDIAG program will appear. Click the display tab. 4. Click the DirectDraw Acceleration 'Disable' button. 5. Run the game 6. When you've finished playing the game click the DirectDraw Acceleration 'Enable' button (You may also have to enable Direct3D too). 7. Quit DXDIAG. You may also want to turn down the sound acceleration slider down, to ensure compatibility. Also, yoou can try setting the game to run under XP's Windows98 compatibility mode. You can find out how to do this in the Windows XP help. To install the patch, run the patch program, and type a folder name to extract the patch files to. Then when the files have been saved move the iwar.exe file into the folder where you installed the game. When windows asks if you want to overwrite the original file, click yes. Note that you do not need the patch if you have the Independence War Deluxe edition. Hope this helps. Best regards, -- Steve Stephen Robertson Senior Designer Particle Systems http://www.particle-systems.com http://www.independencewar.com/home.htm http://www.edgeofchaos.net

Greets all... just thought I'd make a little digest post here for any I-war classic fans...

I had a heck of a time getting I-war to run on my WinXP machine, but after reading MANY threads and applying a little common sense, this is what I've found. I'm posting all the little tid-bits in one post witht the hope that someone will stickie it for the 'old-timers' 😀

Things to make sure of before attempting to run I-War:

1. You have the I-War 1.24 patch.

**2. Your system's virtual memory is set to LESS than 512MB.Again, could you please post a tutorial on how to do this?

3. You have the latest Glide Wrapper.

Install the beast (I-War) and apply the 1.24 patch (don't bother with the patch if you have the deluxe version). Then install the Glide Wrapper and set it to these settings:

http://geek.pointclark.net/gliderwrappersettings.gif

Then try to fire up I-war. DO NOT USE THE 'PLAIN' I-WAR ICON.
You have to use the "Independence War 3Dfx V2" icon.

If you have any other success stories, then please feel free to post them here. I'm not about to answer a TON of questions, so don't post yer woes here. I'm just trying to start a conversation about what you found that works. My next post will be the sources I found for the above mentioned patches and helpers.

From Kelly Stiver: I have yet to try the above. I don't know how to set my laptop's virtual memory pagefile to <512 MB.

Reply 7 of 19, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties in the menu
2. Click the Advanced tab in the System Properties window
3. In the Performance section, click the Settings button
4. In the Performance Options screen, click the Advanced tab
5. In the Virtual memory section, click the Change button
6. RECORD ALL OF THE INFORMATION IN THE VIRTUAL MEMORY WINDOW BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES.
7. Make sure the Custom size radio button is selected (if it isn't already), and change both the Initial size and Maximum size to some value less than 512 MB (I would suggest 500 MB).
8. Click the Set button
9. Click the OK Button to close the Virtual Memory window
10. Acknowledge the pop-up about having to reboot (click OK).
11. Click the OK button in the Performance Options window.
12. Click the OK button in the System Properties window.
13. Reboot and confirm that the changes have been made.

Reply 8 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot access the glider wrapper settings.gif at the link: http://geek.pointclark.net/gliderwrappersettings.gif and I cannot even access that site. Can anyone help?

Hey, I'm back. I tried all of the above and nothing works at all. Will nothing work? Also, could I please have instructions for changing my laptop's memory settings back to the original settings, please? Thanks.

Reply 10 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do I do this? I have 1 GB of Physical memory in my laptop, and so far, I've limited my Virtual memory to Initial size: 500 MB, and Maximum size: 500 MB; also could you please post instructions on how to restore both my virtual memory and physical memory back to its original configerations for when I play these newer games after I'm done playing Independence War (Or when I take a break from I-War and play another, newer game)?

P.S. Please, I hope I don't have to open up the bottom of my laptop's memory compartment, remove the stick of 1 GB of memory and replace this with the old 256 MB memory stick!!!!!

And I'm just curious: How does having 512 MB or more memory in my computer stop Independence War from running? I'd like to know.

Reply 11 of 19, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

go here
http://www.speichts.com/games/lb2/ram.html

look at The System Configuration Utility method
for limiting your ram

as for your virtual memory
look at : The NO SWAP FILE method

but instead of selecting no swap file select custom size and type in 256

to set it back to normal select system managed size

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 14 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the U.S. version of Independence War that comes on 3 cds. Also, someone told me over at GameBoomers.com that some games arn't laptop-friendly, and she said that this might be the reason why all these instructions that I've printed out so far on how to get this game running on my laptop don't work; I might have to run this game on my Dell desktop computer that also has Windows XP.

Reply 16 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My laptop has an ATI Radeon X300 64 MB graphics card. Just now I've downloaded the file "i-war_3dfx_upgrade.exe" (European retail 3dfx upgrade) from one of the public U.S. HTTP mirror at 3D Gamers.com using the link Davros gave me. Will this I-War 3dfx upgrade work for my U.S. version (3 cds) of Independence War?

Reply 18 of 19, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 2009 update to this thread is that I have the 3 CD UK version and install it, run it in win98 compatability and it works fine. Install the 1.24 patch and it won't work. So despite what the patch readme says, the patch is just for people who want to use their 3DFX card and doesn't fix anything else, or if it does, you have to then use a 3DFX wrapper as well to get whatever extra the patch gives you.