VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by millenium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there some way or some software that could scale low resolutions to let's say 1024X768. This concerns mostly old DOS and Windows games.

I ask this because I bought a CTX PR711FL monitor which uses Sony FD triniton and then running at something below 1024X768 there are awfull scanlines all over the screen, so I want them to dissapear. It seems like the only way is to run 1024X768 resolution. But how to fit games in them. By the way I use Win XP.

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, even Windows XP still lets old DOS games use the video hardware (almost) directly as far as video modes go. Older (i.e. non protected-mode) DOS games can be run in DosBox if you have a beefy enough system, and it can scale the image size up a bit (with or without antialiasing [smoothing]).

Reply 2 of 3, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
millenium wrote:

Is there some way or some software that could scale low resolutions to let's say 1024X768. This concerns mostly old DOS and Windows games.

If you are playing DOS games in an NTVDM inside Windows NT/2000/XP there is nothing you can do about this, because the game must set the video card to the correct resolution, usually 320x200, 320x240 or 640x480, and run full screen.

HunterZ wrote:

Older (i.e. non protected-mode) DOS games can be run in DosBox if you have a beefy enough system, and it can scale the image size up a bit (with or without antialiasing [smoothing]).

That's right. If you want to play old games that do not require protected mode, usually pre-1993 games, try DosBox. It's an emulator for DOS-based games, and since it is a Windows application, you will see the game screen as rendered by DosBox inside its window. You can then scale it up so it won't appear too small inside a larger resultion desktop. Be sure to read the instructions if you want to give it a try.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just thinking that another possible solution might be to use the monitor controls to actually shrink the size of the picture both horizontally and vertically. This may cause the scanlines to disappear or at least be less noticable, although it will also result in a smaller picture.