VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Necromancist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently downloaded Alpha Centauri as an ISO file (i had to, couldn't buy it anywhere). When i tried installing it the setup.exe file wouldn't run, so i was advised to install it through DosBox. Problem is, i have no idea how to do it.

I'm using Windows XP with service pack 2 and the latest version of DosBox. The ISO is mounted in Deamontools with all emulation options on.

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alpha Centauri is a Windows game. It works fine in Windows XP if you have an uncorrupted copy which you can get by buying the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Amazon has a number of copies, even of the Linux version, and I'm sure there are plenty lurking on eBay. You can find it if you look.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 4 of 14, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Alpha Centauri is a Windows game. It works fine in Windows XP if you have an uncorrupted copy which you can get by buying the game.

Sorry to curse at you, but that is complete and utter bullshit. A friend of mine who lives very close. He has both Alpha Centauri and the expansion (original). And before his PC went fucky on him, then windows XP still didn´t want to have anything to with the game. So my answer is , if you have the game, how did you make it run in XP ?

And his windows xp pro is a legal copy I bought him.
So how did you make the game run in XP ? Since when he had Windows 98 SE, there were no problems running that game. But XP refuses on his pc running the game.

Reply 6 of 14, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you do have a valid copy of the game, there is a patch available to make it run properly on 2000 and XP; The Patches Scrolls has it.

Reply 7 of 14, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dr. Riptide wrote:

If you do have a valid copy of the game, there is a patch available to make it run properly on 2000 and XP; The Patches Scrolls has it.

Thanks, I needed that answer. My friend will be happy about that answer , could you by the way give me a link to that patch ? and DosFreak: Sometimes you are cool, other times you are cruel.

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The Patches Scrolls

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 14, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Damn it, I was talking about a direct link to the patch. And yes I know how to use google, Not a joke link. And that is it. And I know the patches scroll link.
I don´t need a joke link thrown in my face. And I know when I pushed on the following link I saw the patches scrolls link. And MiniMax I am NOT a stupid Dane !

Anyway I have found the patches, and Dr. Riptide thanks for mentioning about the patch.

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can someone explain what the 2000/XP patch does? Is it for an earlier version of the game?

I've installed the Alpha Centauri Demo and Full games on NT4/2000/XP (32 and 64bit)/2003 (32 and 64bit)/Vista (32 and 64bit) and never encountered any issues.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 14, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had forgotten about that .ini file edit; that may be all that is needed to get the game to run even on some XP systems (if that much, I don't know exactly why the game doesn't work most of the time on XP, so I can't say).

I can't find any specific information as to what exactly the 2000/XP patch does (but that doesn't mean there isn't any...). It is dated about two and a half years later than the last "regular" patch for the game (4.0, 2.0 for expansion), so I assume it is intended for that version and/or may include the updates provided by that version.

Reply 13 of 14, by Necromancist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not the game that won't start; it's the setup file.

I might have an idea to what's wrong, though. AC was made when Windows 16-bit were still in use, so 32-bit might have some problems... is there some way to convert it to 32-bit?