Extreme-G 2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SaxxonPike wrote:

I've been trying to find ways to modify the game's executable and game files to get a fully playable version. So far, I've been able to get the game working on XP with a simple hex-replace hack:

1) Convert all instances of this hex string: "FF 15 E4 56 B1 01" to "90 90 90 90 90 90" - that seems to be the call that is crashing my XP system (and it's completely unnecessary!). Now I can get the game to work.

Wouldn't this pretty much amount to the same thing as the Application Compatibility Toolkit fix described above?

Reply 21 of 48, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn't get that utility to work. "OutputDebug" didn't show up in the list. So I wrote a patch instead. There's more than just the hex replacement mentioned above (I also had to remove the PUSH statements for the debug strings which is a bit less straightforward) but it's getting there.

Would be much nicer to have a working executable right out of the box, in my opinion.

Edit: I think these are the graphics formats used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILBM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_pixmap

Assuming the tags "LHUF" and "LZSS" in the data files mean the types of compression they sound like they do, it's just standard compression on top of those image formats.

Reply 22 of 48, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know a lot of time has passed, but I thought I'd provide a bit of information on progress.

So far, everything's been going quite smoothly. I wrote an archiver for manipulating the data files in the game. It also works on the N64 version (and actually, the data is more accessible there! I may use that instead for the graphics source as the files are identical, but the PC archives are byteswapped...) In the process, I've also discovered a bit more about the music format, so I may even convert that to XM format and hook the game's music player to play the songs through Ian Luck's BASS library (you can also play the game's music outside the game too.) The reason I don't just play the music with the USF player is it's a lot more CPU intensive and in the end, lower quality.

That's the scoop. More to come.

Reply 23 of 48, by SONIC3D

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

XG2 on PC has different BGM to N64 version.Much better than the mod music on N64.Very addict.I love this game since I got as the addon of my ASUS V3400 TNT graphic card.But it is a pity that the track2(music track 1) is error on my CD.It glitch after 1:21(The song is in the length of 3:14).Any one who have this track please contact me.Thank you very much.My email is "sonic3d[A T]gmail.com".I have seeking this track for almost 10 yrs 🙁

Reply 24 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SONIC3D wrote:

XG2 on PC has different BGM to N64 version.Much better than the mod music on N64.Very addict.I love this game since I got as the addon of my ASUS V3400 TNT graphic card.But it is a pity that the track2(music track 1) is error on my CD.It glitch after 1:21(The song is in the length of 3:14).Any one who have this track please contact me.Thank you very much.My email is "sonic3d[A T]gmail.com".I have seeking this track for almost 10 yrs 🙁

Then you are not a very good seeker, sir. Fortunately I am in a good mood at the moment. Check your inbox.

Reply 25 of 48, by sadun1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I installed the compatibility toolkit and did everything exactly as in the intructions, but I have a problem: The IgnoreDebugOutput option does'nt show up so I can't check it. Could you help me somehow?

Reply 26 of 48, by Excol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings. I'm also a fan of this game. I couldn't have been able to run it on my XP, since I saw this thread. I used the fix mentioned here and I got the game running.

But the problem is, as some have also stated here, most of the textures and texts are white. I can't read what is written in the menus and in-game textures are mostly screwed, and the bikes are white. After all this time, I hope that someone has found a solution to it, since this is the game of my teenage.

Thanks for the fix to start the game, and thanks in advance for any help regarding this White Textures problem.

Btw, my video card is Radeon. It's not just an NVidia problem, as an answer to one of the previous questions.

My e-mail address is redhotrider14@yahoo.com .

I will greatly appreciate any help on this problem (you can e-mail me on the address above).

Yours sincerely,
Excol

Edit: I have tried Glide Wrapper for ATI cards, but that also doesn't work 🙁

Reply 28 of 48, by Excol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, I chose the "force small textures" from the interface, but it is still the same. Bikes, starting point of the bikes and all in-game textures are still white.

But thanks for the suggestion. I will try other options in this software, maybe they will work 🙁

In the meantime, please suggest more solutions if you find any. It is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I tried many options related to textures but none helped. We need another solution for this 😀

Reply 29 of 48, by lepidodendron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

common problem: "the ignoredebugoutput doesn't show up in the compatibility adminisetcetc"

solution: click "mode". find ignoredebugoutput in the huge list and add it into the empty space to the right. give your custom compatibility mode a new name and click ok. then click "fix" and your custom mode will be at the bottom of the compatibility list. check the box next to it, test run, click next, save database, install compatibility package, and so on. darn, i registered to this forum just so i could quick reply this solution, you better find it useful :p *waves a hand from istanbul*

Reply 30 of 48, by Excol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dostum benim probleme de bi el atsan 😀 Ben de İstanbul'dayım 😀

As a translation, I requested help from the guy above. He didn't refer to my request of help.

So anyone, pls help me make this game work again if you know a solution 😀

Reply 33 of 48, by Bernard Teo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Jorpho. Do you have the ISO CD Image for the full PC version? I've been searching everywhere and all they have is Nintendo 64 version only. Can you kindly tell me where to download the ISO CD Image if you have it? Thanks.

Reply 34 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bernard Teo wrote:

I've been searching everywhere and all they have is Nintendo 64 version only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001H0 … 4&condition=new

Reply 35 of 48, by satmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those who have still problems, I used the hex modification from Saxxonpike and created the modified exe file.
Replace this file and the game work on XP

I have Intel X3100 Notebook grafics and textures are well, but it seems that the font type is to small or too big, it is hard to read the in-game fonts, time counter is also not readable. I dunno whats wrong with the fonts of this game, probably a XP problem

exe file in attachment
regards
satmonk

Attachments

• Filename
    xg2pc.rar
    File size
    685.91 KiB
    Downloads
    583 downloads
    File comment
    modified exe for xp
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 37 of 48, by mistamontiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow.. THANKS satmonk for attaching the working executable

It's working in Windows 7 64bit. But unfortunately I'm also getting the white-out problem. And I'm using a NVIDIA based gfx card.. too tedious to make work proper huh ?

Reply 39 of 48, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ACT might be able to fix this as well. However, you'll need version 5.6 or 6.0 to have the flag, which is DirectXTrimTextureFormats. It's worth trying this as it fixed a similar problem with Star Wars Rogue Squadron on Win7 and a GTX460.