VOGONS

Common searches

Another Dungeon Keeper Gold Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

'Sup guys, New guy here! 😀

I've been lurking here for a while, trying to make my copy of dungeon Keeper Gold work on Windows Vista Ultimate but honestly I'm quite desperate!

I tried everything: the latest patch, the 3D patch, the compatibility options (Win95 - Win2000 - WinXP SP2) without any results!

However the dungeon builder is working just fine! I can build dungeons but I can't play them! even then the game is just too fast to enjoy (VERY fast scrolling and animation):s-face:

My PC Spec:
Intel Quad 6600 2.4Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
Geforce 8800 GTS
2GB DDR2 RAM
320GB HDD

Hell, I'm willing to pay for a working remedy/patch (but please no DOSbox solutions, I'm not that desperate yet! ) 🤣

Also, How can I slow the game speed (If I ever managed to make it work?)

Reply 4 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hell, I'm willing to pay for a working remedy/patch (but please no DOSbox solutions, I'm not that desperate yet! )

What does being desperate have to do with it?

The DOS version of Dungeon Keeper works fine in DosBox.

1. Execute DosBox.
2. Mount your HD and DK CD.
3. Install DK.
4. Play DK.

Also, How can I slow the game speed (If I ever managed to make it work?)

I haven't had any issues with speed in DK. If there are any then they would be solved by using DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I refuse the idea of using an emulator for a win95 game! it's not as practical as double click on the game icon! (Yeah I'm lazy! 😀)

But I suppose I'll try out DOSBox eventually, I just want to know how you guys succeed in playing the game on Vista without DOSBox?

Share the wealth!

Reply 6 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

We install DOSBox, configure the game, create a shortcut, and double-click on it to play.

Some among use a frontend for all this, one that will even create the shortcut for you.

Too bad that you are too lazy to do this.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

We install DOSBox, configure the game, create a shortcut, and double-click on it to play.

The lazy among use a frontend for all this, one that will even create the shortcut for you.

Can you provide me with the links for these frontend/software please? 😁

edit: I'm not lazy! I'm just looking for the *right* way to do it! 😠

And why everybody here is grouchy? 😳

Reply 8 of 29, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TeraNova wrote:
Can you provide me with the links for these frontend/software please? :happyhappy: […]
Show full quote
MiniMax wrote:

The lazy among use a frontend for all this, one that will even create the shortcut for you.

Can you provide me with the links for these frontend/software please? 😁

edit: I'm not lazy! I'm just looking for the *right* way to do it! 😠

And why everybody here is grouchy? 😳

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Well, MiniMax is MiniMax. But not all are grouchy.

Reply 9 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to get technical there is is no "right" way to do it (unless you run the game on the OS it was designed to run on). Dungeon Keeper is a DOS/Windows 95 game. It was never designed to run on operating systems newer than those two.

So using DosBox to play the game is no more right or wrong that trying to play the Windows 95 version on Windows Vista.

I haven't tried the Windows version of Dungeon Keeper on Windows Vista 32bit yet. I do know that on Windows Vista 64bit it will not install due to the game having a 16bit installer.

I do know that if you play the Windows version under Windows XP then you have to apply Windows 95 Compatibility mode to the game to get it to work. This is likely the same with Windows Vista 32bit.

And why everybody here is grouchy?

Because we're tired of people making DosBox out to be some big hassle to use when it's not. People think it's Rocket Science when even Rocket Science isn't Rocket Science.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-03-17, 12:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

There's no "best" frontend. And if you want to just play dungeon keeper,
just set up a mounting in the [autoexec]-section without any frontend.

Ok let's rephrase my previous reply:

Please name me a frontend that's easy to maintain, have the ability to add new games easily, list the games in a nice and fashionable way, do all the little details for you and also support old games with Voodoo 3dfx without hassles!

.. and it should gives great blowjobs! 🤣

Com'on guys! I'm a n00b at this .. share t3h wealth! 😵

Reply 14 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think they all do what your describe. They mostly differ in interface design, and compatibility with multiple OS's.

The most popular ones are D.O.G., DBGL, and DFEND Reloaded.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-03-17, 14:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 29, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TeraNova wrote:
Ok let's rephrase my previous reply: […]
Show full quote
wd wrote:

There's no "best" frontend. And if you want to just play dungeon keeper,
just set up a mounting in the [autoexec]-section without any frontend.

Ok let's rephrase my previous reply:

Please name me a frontend that's easy to maintain, have the ability to add new games easily, list the games in a nice and fashionable way, do all the little details for you and also support old games with Voodoo 3dfx without hassles!

.. and it should give great blowjobs! 🤣

Com'on guys! I'm a n00b at this .. share t3h wealth! 😵

DOSShell is the easiest frontend to DosBox. and yes the name is the same as the old GUI to MS Dos.

http://www.loonies.narod.ru/dosshell.htm

But please check out my other link too.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Reply 16 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If I am a bit grouchy, it is because you *do* come across as being lazy, like asking for information about frontends without bothering to do some research yourself.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends

Reply 17 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys for all the links! 😀

For the record, I usually ask people for reviews before trying a new software/emulator to prevent any critical errors or harm my system in the process.

It's smart to ask people *before* jumping on trying new software that *may* harm your PC

Thanks again for the help anyway!

Reply 18 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

FYI, I use DBGL, mainly because it is cross-platform, and because I found DOG confusing.

Reply 19 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I've downloaded the latest version of DOSBox and D-Fend Frontend and while the game starts normally, it will always showed that Red CD with a question mark on it!

I have the original CD of the game but it won't work! I also tried install & play it directly from the HDD and it didn't work either!

I'm sure that there's no problem with the DOSBox or the frontend (tried other games with no problems) so I think it may have to do with a file within the game!

Please help? 😖