VOGONS

Common searches

Another Dungeon Keeper Gold Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded the latest version of DOSBox and D-Fend Frontend and while the game starts normally, it will always showed that Red CD with a question mark on it!

I have the original CD of the game but it won't work! I also tried install & play it directly from the HDD and it didn't work either!

I'm sure that there's no problem with the DOSBox or the frontend (tried other games with no problems) so I think it may have to do with a file within the game!

Please help? 😖

Reply 21 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Frontends are fine - when everything works according to plan. I suggest you read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox and try to install & run it manually.

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok l tried to run DOSBox manually with other DOS games and it worked fine (by using the guide) I mounted them on C:\OLDGAMES, but I've encountered the same problem with DK Gold. (no CD screen)

Then I tried the D-Fend Frontend (which is much more easier to configure) I mounted the game directly from the installation drive(E:\), I've encountered the same problem!

I read somewhere while I was looking for a fix for this that there I must modify a CFG file in order to play the game from the HDD.

Suggestions?

Reply 23 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know anything about modifying a CFG-file. Maybe you CD-problem can be fixed by added a -label XXXX to the mount command for the CD?

You need to replace the XXXX with the name/label of you CD - maybe somthing like DUNGEON, DKGOLD ?

Reply 24 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay I just tried the Windows ver of Dungeon Keeper Gold and if you do not apply the D3D patch then the game works fine.

Compatibility mode doesn't work with the game as it did with Windows XP, I'll have to look through the ACT and see if applying the fix works for the game as it did back in the Windows 2000 days.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Okay I just tried the Windows ver of Dungeon Keeper Gold and if you do not apply the D3D patch then the game works fine.

Compatibility mode doesn't work with the game as it did with Windows XP, I'll have to look through the ACT and see if applying the fix works for the game as it did back in the Windows 2000 days.

Thanks for all the work dude! Please manage some kind of solution and I'll give you a fucking medal! 🤣

It's just so frustrating! Any help would be most appreciated! 😊

Reply 27 of 29, by TeraNova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still can't play Dungeon Keeper Gold on my PC! [The red CD with question mark on it is still there and the CD is already in the drive!!] and I'm sure I've mounted it in the proper manner!

Hell, other than the really old DOS games (which the games runs at full frame rate) playing games like Blood, Redneck Rampage or any 1997+ DOS game is like playing a really bad slideshow! 😠

Damn it! I have a super fast PC too (Intel Quad 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2 RAM Dual Channel) and I can't play DOS games at full speed? I suspect that DOSBox need some SERIOUS tweaking! It's not about emulation speeds anymore, it's just shitty coding! 😒

Anyway, Is there any *good* fan-made mods to run Blood, Redneck Rampage and any 1997+ in high-resolution?

Reply 28 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

bad luck for you

1) 1997 is NOT really old for dosgames. In fact those are the NEW and LATEST dosgames.
2) Other people play it fine. So PEBKAC.
3) Calling dosbox shitty here on vogons isn't smart.

Topic closed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 29 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And this is I think the 3rd time I have had to merge a new thread into an old thread, because you keep making new threads instead of keeping with the original thread you started.