VOGONS

Common searches

Rage Expendable on XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by supafunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed this game on mu computer and when I start go.exe it gives me a message "An unhandled exception occurred in go.exe[3344]".

I tried the "-nocputest" solution and it still wont work (i started go.exe from command line with -nocputest parrametar, or I added -nocputest to go.exe file name).

I have a Windows XP. I used to play this game without problems on my old computer with Win98.

Reply 23 of 33, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The -nocputest Parameter on the go.exe worked for me on WinXP... without the Game Crashed after Loading 1st Level.

I also had to Change in Soundsettings to "Direct Sound 3D Software emulation"

Reply 27 of 33, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't seem related to the graphic card or OS. He's running on a multi-core CPU while you're running on a single-core. Some older games also have problems with memory > 512MB.

Reply 29 of 33, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Radeon 4870 (PCIe of course) and... a D3D6 game. Yes, graphic card DOES matter 😐

A Geforce FX has a lot more chance to be compatible of course.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 30 of 33, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P4 3.2E, Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP, WinXpSp3, Catalyst 12.3.
Expendable works w/o any parameters.
Expendable Lite - ctd (expendable.exe offset 8094). Maybe because my version is hardware specific...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 31 of 33, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

Well, Radeon 4870 (PCIe of course) and... a D3D6 game. Yes, graphic card DOES matter 😐

It depends on how the drivers were made. The Geforce 8000 series and newer took years to be compatible with Directx 5 and 6 and all because of the horrible drivers at the time.

Reply 32 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This game is available on GOG.com if anyone is wondering 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 33, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
archsan wrote:

It depends on how the drivers were made. The Geforce 8000 series and newer took years to be compatible with Directx 5 and 6 and all because of the horrible drivers at the time.

true it's drivers that add compatibility, but using old drivers on new cards doesn't always work and an actual old card is required. it's best to have a spare old system for 100% playability.