VOGONS

Common searches

Project IGI

Topic actions

First post, by Sam Stoat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've installed Project IGI under WinXP, and everything works great except that there's no cursor on the menus. That means I can't redefine the keys (unless someone knows how to without the mouse), and the default keys are useless.

As far as I can tell, there's never been a patch for the game, and I've tried changing the compatibility properties. Anyone have a fix for this?

Sam Stoat

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sam Stoat I've installed Project IGI under WinXP, and everything works great except that there's no cursor on the menus.

Doesn't look good. From what I've read, there are 2 claims to proper operation:

1) Drop back to an earlier set of NVidia drivers, like v23.11 (this is presuming you're using NVidia for video).
2) Run it on XP Pro instead of XP Home.

I'm willing to bet it needs both. If I can find mine, I'll give it a go.

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now THAT was odd.

XP Home: Just as you described, no visible mouse (but it's there...at least on the 1st menus).

Tried with three different sets of video drivers and there appears to be no (as you said) patches available.

XP Pro: Surprisingly, worked fine. Nothing special was done (no compatibility modes, etc...).

I might try and see if configuration can be copied from one install to another.

Reply 4 of 9, by Sam Stoat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Now THAT was odd. […]
Show full quote

Now THAT was odd.

XP Home: Just as you described, no visible mouse (but it's there...at least on the 1st menus).

Tried with three different sets of video drivers and there appears to be no (as you said) patches available.

XP Pro: Surprisingly, worked fine. Nothing special was done (no compatibility modes, etc...).

I might try and see if configuration can be copied from one install to another.

Thanks for the replies, but here's something even odder: I'm using XP Pro. I also have SP1 installed, could it be that?

Sam Stoat

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sam Stoat I'm using XP Pro. I also have SP1 installed, could it be that?

Curioser and curioser. It could be. Hard to tell, as this is the first time I've heard of a game running fine in one version of XP, but not another. Hrmm...

Will test again when I get a chance.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok. This is one of those "Twilight Zone" issues. On my present PC, it works. The exact same CD running on the exact same OS on another motherboard acts just like it did with XP Home. Multiple installs can't seem to get it going properly. My guess is that it only runs properly on "certain" configurations.

This is the kind of problem that needs a few dozen testers with different hardware setups to troubleshoot.

I did get one error repeatedly, a weird block-of-memory error. It seems to do no real harm. Unless you're really low-on memory, I don't see it as a problem.

In any case, until (if/when) a solution can be found...I've noticed that it creates a config.qvm file in the main game directory (by the IGI.exe). If you want you can tell me what keys you want configured, I'll configure mine that way, then attach the config file here. I don't think it stores video settings there, but I can drop it to 640x480 to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• igi.gif
    Filename
    igi.gif
    File size
    6.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attached is the configuration file. Rename it to config.qvm and drop it into the directory with the IGI.EXE.

Attachments

• Filename
    config.txt
    File size
    2.46 KiB
    Downloads
    1048 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception